Paella for my Family

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Paella for my Family

Postby outlaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:32 am

I keep coming back and looking, and drooling at this. Each picture is another taste sensation. All those saffron threads, and smoked paprika. When I get the replacement innards for my egg I am going to have to try this. I'll order a pan to fit my egg. Do you see any reason I couldn't do a trial run with just maybe chicken and sausage to keep the costs down? That's some pretty serious seafood cost wise here.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Paella for my Family

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Russ,
Yes, ur exactly right. Definitely use a good Saffron. It's rediculous what these little ( lint threads ) cost, but splurging here is well worth it. Yup, I used about 3 pinches Russ.

TexMike,
Go for it man, you can always eat the leftovers the next day for lunch :)

Capt,
Looks exactly like the setting everyone had as I was bringing it to the table, lol.
Thx man.

Sailor,
Thank you :) That table was a ( moving in ) gift 20 years ago to my wife for her appartment before we got married.
Believe it or not, this was maybe the 10th time we've ever used it lol !!
We like to grab a rocker or couch when we eat :)..
But, for this meal we remembered how to use it.

Outlaw,
If you get a Paella Pan, keep this in mind before you order it...
Remember to add 2 " on each side of the pan for the handles. Plus, a 15" pan is measured at the base ( the cooking surface ), but the pan tapers out on each side so add another inch or so into the equation.
Mine JUST FIT under the dome, but if it didn't I was gonna drill the rivets out, remove the handles and make ( lift chains ).

As for using chicken, of course you can and that's a really smart idea until u get the hang of the pan. I know, seafood was big $$$, but I wanted to splurge and spoil mom, da wife and nephew since it's been a long time since I've made them a really nice dinner.
Also, these pans are slightly rounded on the bottom, so using them ON the stove is very challenging. They burn hot very easily in the center, but they are really meant for a grill and thrive in that atmosphere.
If ur thinking about doing Paella in the oven, there's a good chance it will lean towards being dry.

I think ur BEST bet is on ur grill, you will LOVE it.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”