Major disaster in Mississippi

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Major disaster in Mississippi

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:02 am

I finished my uds Sat at work. Got groceries came home and started its first cook. Had a butt in there and some thighs. My neighbor asked me to cook another butt for him about three hours into my cook and I was happy to help. Well mine had just came out of the Foil and I made a glaze to put on it so we are talking 15 more minutes right. Well I closed the lid and that's when I heard it. The sound of a fifteen dollar butt falling. I snatched up the lid to see my grill grate laying sideways. I was able to salvage my neighbors but not mine. Things were thrown, fowl language was yelled but there was nothing I could do but hang my head in shame and finish the cook. Ever happen to any of yall
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Re: Major disaster in Mississippi

Postby Williep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:09 am

About 43 years ago the grate fell and all my chicken ended up in the coal's, remember that very well. :angryfire: :angryfire:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:13 am

Man embarrassed wasn't even the word. Thank God none of my friends were here. Better believe i will be doing some tweaking on the new uds. Nevertheless it preformed perfectly.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 am

Oh man…I've heard my language after just dropping a steak…can only imagine after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 am

Nothing with grates, but if you want to feel a little better, read this...

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=28020
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:48 am

This will probably make you feel better.....

4 years back I had a gas grill go up in flames on my wooden deck !! I had it filled with thighs and as you know, they tend to be greasy. Between the thighs and the drip pan, it was just enough to start a blaze !
In a panic, the wifey ran outside behind me and slammed the sliding door behind her. The blunt force of it shutting knocked the lock rod down in the track and we were LOCKED out of the house, so no way to grab the fire extinguisher or some salt !!
I ended up stealing my neighbors ladder, and breaking thru the screened window on the 2nd floor all while barefoot...

Lesson learned on my end, from that point on I used lined drip pans for every cook even if they weren't used much.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:15 am

so far no Fars but I do keep a rattle can fire extinguisher in the shop and BBQn area :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Hate to hear that Justin. I use 1/4" x 2" bolts basically it is impossible for the grate to clear them without tilting it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:10 pm

When I saw the tagline saying "Major Disaster in Mississippi" I thought Wesley Clark must have wandered into Starkville to give a speech at the University... :banana:

No big deal as long as you have a 2 Second rule....

Fire kills germs and kills all ills, just hose em off and re-load!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Man what a bummer... How are your grate bolts set up? What are the length and do you have 3 or 4 of them installed? I installed 3 (was concerned if tipping would be an issue) but using weight plates and stuff it seemed pretty stable.
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:44 pm

I know duct tape isn't an option but a few bailing wore twisties would sure help and easily removed and replaced :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:50 pm

funny you should say that oup. I used balin ware to hold the fire basket together and as a handle for the basket. I am going to remedy the problem by drilling 4 more holes and havin 8 bolt to hold the grate. I am also going to use longer bolts. looking forward to my next cook on it after I scrape the dropped butt of the bottom of the barrel.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”