FuhJeeTahs

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

FuhJeeTahs

Postby PaulWhita » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 pm

I am really frustrated with fajitas. I have NEVER been able to cook skirt worth a flip. I know skirt is a tough piece of meat but I have eaten (often) fajitas at restaurants that is way less chewy than my best effort. Any advice would be helpful.
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: FuhJeeTahs

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I've had decent success with marinating over night in lime juice and/or vinegar and (of course) slicing cross grain. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks - I have not tried marinating in acid but that will be next. Lime sounds good to me.
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I have tired to make my own but found I have the best luck with the pre seasoned / marinated meat from the local Mexican market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:57 am

I hope you get a better answer than this but this is what I do and they come out almost melting in your mouth. Throw the skirt steak on the grill high heat and sear it up pretty good. Once you're happy with the color pull it off and slice it across the grain into whatever size pieces you are gonna use in your taco or whatever. Put it foil along with a half a beer or so and also add onions and peppers to the foil. Season them up good!! Seal it up and back on the grill at a medium heat and let it ride for 30-45 minutes or until you think the onions and peppers are done and there ya go! They will be falling apart tender every time and they pick up a real nice flavor from the onions and peppers. I'm sure there is a better way but this is the way my war dept. likes them so I have to do them this way.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 am

YUMMLY is your friend if you're interested in checking it out.

Screenshot_2017-01-08-08-52-55.png
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 am

I was hoping W V would see this and post because those hanger fuh jee tahs that he did last week was a testimony to that type cook :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: FuhJeeTahs

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I was hoping W V would see this and post because those hanger fuh jee tahs that he did last week was a testimony to that type cook :tup: :salut:

I used hanger instead because it was cheaper. It's tougher, but if u beat the you know what out of it and marinade it the right way, it will cut with a fork.
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:19 pm

I have used hanger steak before and it is great but the only place I can find that cut is a local market and the only beef they carry is Wagyu.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm

PaulWhita wrote:I have used hanger steak before and it is great but the only place I can find that cut is a local market and the only beef they carry is Wagyu.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Doesn't get better than wagyu!!!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Ask your butcher to run it through the tenderizer once or twice. Also its important to slice against the grain...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Doesn't get better than wagyu!!!

Doesn't much more expensive either. I love Wagyu hanger steak. It is not nearly as tough as skirt.
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Ask your butcher to run it through the tenderizer once or twice. Also its important to slice against the grain...

I have used tenderized skirt and it does help but I have had skirt in restaurants that was not tenderized and not nearly as tough. I do slice against the grain.

Thanks for all the ideas. I have some new ideas I am going to try from this.
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: FuhJeeTahs

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 am

PaulWhita wrote:

I have used tenderized skirt and it does help but I have had skirt in restaurants that was not tenderized and not nearly as tough. I do slice against the grain.

Thanks for all the ideas. I have some new ideas I am going to try from this.

Also, some good ole Dr Pepper works wonders and doesn't leech out the flavor from the meat....
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Practice #1:

Ask your butcher to run it through the tenderizer once or twice.

Thanks Gator! I had tried this before and I do not remember it being much different. Tonight proved me wrong. I will not buy skirt unless it is tenderized.

I've had decent success with marinating over night in lime juice

Thanks OldUsedParts! As you can see I improvised a little and added a little tequila. I will try this on chicken next. despite only 30 minutes of marinating, these were slightly more tender.

I marinated for thirty minutes on the counter.

YUMMLY is your friend if you're interested in checking it out.

Screenshot_2017-01-08-08-52-55.png

Thanks woodenvision! This is a great flavor profile. Everyone should try it.

Grill over high heat on the old (turned 15 last year) Weber Silver 3 burner gasser for 4-5 minutes a side.

I will have to say the the lime marinade did seem to produce the more tender meat. The soy "asian" marinade was very tasty.

*note: beer on left for cooking and wifey - beer on right for drinking.

I cut two of the burners and cooked it for 45 minutes with a lid temp of about 300.

Put it foil along with a half a beer or so and also add onions and peppers to the foil. Season them up good!! Seal it up and back on the grill at a medium heat and let it ride for 30-45 minutes or until you think the onions and peppers are done and there ya go! They will be falling apart tender every time and they pick up a real nice flavor from the onions and peppers.

Thanks castironchris! I will not waste the wife's beer next time. Blanched the flavor BUT all the meat did get MUCH more tender. I will use this again.

Sorry guys - I have some kale I can spare.

Thanks to Jim Beam and everyone else who helped me on this.
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”