Watcha Smokin/Drinkin/Cookin This Weekend 12/07 - 12/09

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Great lookin' ribs there Mike but ya never let me know when dinner time is :dont: .
Gonna have ta try the scotch eggs too, I wonder how they'd be with pickled eggs?
tarde venientibus ossa....
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:27 pm

bowhnter wrote:Nice job on that brisket SC. And the smoke ring, did the brisket sit out long before going on the smoker?

I have been looking for brisket on sale for a few weeks...I have two butts thawed that I need to cook under. Maybe Monday.

I have ribs and scotch eggs on now.

Mike, I pulled the brisket out of the fridge, prepped the brisket and it was pretty much ready to head out on the smoker. Couldn't explain the deeper smoke ring, it's been said the colder the meat the better the ring when you put it on the smoker.

I will say when I woke up at 6am the temp was at 90* so I had to refire the WSM up. The brisket was reading 130* at that time.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:29 pm

TX Sandman wrote:Great job, SC! I threatened Karen with another brisket once my schedule calms down a bit. As for the butt, where do you get Rev Martins and The Squeal? I'm curious about how they taste.

Mike, hope you're gettin' pics of those eggs and ribs. I really want to see how the eggs turn out.

Sandman, the Rev. Marvins is a Carolina Style Mustard Q sauce. I use it as a slather, does it impart any extra flavors? I don't think so, I like to use it as a glue.

The Cowtown Hog Squeal is a local rub put out by Oklahoma Joes. The packer is located here in town and I have a wholesale account set up with them. I buy it by the case. Let me know if you're interested in a bottle, I'll shoot one down. :wink:

DATsBBQ wrote:Great job, looks like a home run. Did you use the WSM or the Spicewine?

Dats,
for this cook I used the WSM. The spicewine is tucked away nicely in the garage for the winter. I'd hate to clean it out in this cold weather. :D
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:34 pm

OSD wrote:Great looking eats there SC. :goof: Bet you're enjoying smoking on the SpiceWine in that cold weather. :D :D

Jim, because of the small cook I didn't want to dirty up the spicewine. I used the WSM and it performed flawlessly in the cold weather. Of course with the spicewine I wouldn't have run out of fuel and have the temp go below 100* :D

Gator wrote:Brisket is done and smells outstanding! This is probably one of the deepest smoke rings I've ever had. The hoochie mama with worsty is a HOME RUN! Hoochie keeps her nice subtle heat while providing an excellent "beefy" taste to the brisket. Hoochie ROCKS Gator!! Great job

:trainnana:

Tested by member of the Texas BBQ Forum! Thanks Steer, that is just what I was shooting for; brisket to taste...more like a brisket + a little heat to keep it interesting! Glad it worked out for you!

A little Hoochie Mama make's things seem better!

Again, the Hoochie was awesome. I would suggest anyone who has not picked up a bottle to do so immediately :lol:
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:35 pm

JamesB wrote:Well, so far only cooked 1 rack of spares! As for the drink, been alternating between Heineken and Woodford Reserve... Co-worker gave me one of these little Heineken draft kegs... gotta say, it's going down good...

James.

James, those do go down good. I picked up a couple over the summer when I was doing some large weekend cooks. Beer just tastes better out of a draft 8)
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:36 pm

bowhnter wrote:As requested by Rob...

This is actually last weeks egg picture due to not taking any of yesterdays yet.

The Ribs rubbed with Hog Waller, then glazed with a concoction something like this.
Since I foiled for 30 mins, I took the juice from the foils and mixed with 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup apple juice, 1/4 cup Wingstop hot sauce, 1/8 cup cider vinegar, 1/8 cup dark rum.

We liked it.

Scotch eggs are on the menu for next weekend. Those bones look great mike!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Great looking REEEBS Mike!

:wink:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:39 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:Sandman, the Rev. Marvins is a Carolina Style Mustard Q sauce. I use it as a slather, does it impart any extra flavors? I don't think so, I like to use it as a glue.

The Cowtown Hog Squeal is a local rub put out by Oklahoma Joes. The packer is located here in town and I have a wholesale account set up with them. I buy it by the case. Let me know if you're interested in a bottle, I'll shoot one down. :wink:

Thanks for the info. I may try Rev Marvins next time I do a butt.

As for the Squeal, I'm definitely interested in trying it. I'll shoot a PM and work somethin' out with you.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I've seen those kegs and they look good but kinda expensive.

Well, this one was free, but I have bought them before. Sam's carries them for, I think, $17... Ain't too bad for 10 pints of draught... if ya like heineken that is.

bigwheel wrote:Thats why the yups have to put limes in it I guess

Story of the lime thing is that down in coastal Mexico in da old days, the cheap steal bottle caps would get all rusty in the humidity... the line was used to scrub the rust off da bottle at serving time... don't know how it wound up being popular to stuff 'em in the bottle tho...

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Well aint never had similar problemos with Dos XX's or Carta Blanca. I think they make Corona out of Matamoros sewer water. Just got a feeling on this deal. Unless you real old betcha I been drinking Mejico beer longer than you have:) Just guessing of course.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Ain't nobody older than you BW,,,,,cept maybe me.. :)
You don't see Carta Blanca anymore it's good beer. I liked the Mexican version because it had the twist off wrench on the bottom of every bottle. It was at one time rated one of the ten best beers in the world. I never did like Corona maybe your theory is why but I do like Dos Equis.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Never heard about the twist off wrench deal. You must be mo older than me:)

bigwhee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:19 pm

bigwheel wrote:Never heard about the twist off wrench deal. You must be mo older than me:)

bigwhee

The Carta Blanca sold in the US never had it but the ones sold in Mexico did it was just a socket molded into the bottom of the bottle used to twist the top off another. Slick no finger trauma.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:16 pm

bigwheel wrote:Well aint never had similar problemos with Dos XX's or Carta Blanca. I think they make Corona out of Matamoros sewer water. Just got a feeling on this deal. Unless you real old betcha I been drinking Mejico beer longer than you have:) Just guessing of course.

bigwheel

No no... you'd win in the age contest... I'm purty sure ya got me by at least a year... :lol:
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:25 pm

Wow..The Ribs look great..I need to do some Scoth Eggs...Good Job..
Ken

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”