Skirt Steak

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Skirt Steak

Postby egghead » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Marinated a skirt steak in chimichuri sauce for 8 hours today. First time with chimichuri - it's great

My salt block has seen better days. Have used it many times but not sure how many more cooks are left in it :(

After the turn - first time cooking a steak on a salt block. I don't recommend it.

The chimichuri sauce carried the day. Reserved a 1/2 cup of the marinade to use on the steak - excellent. But using a grid close to the coals would have achieved a nice sear and better result. Was good but could have been better.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Re: Skirt Steak

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:09 am

it looks very awesome!!
I've never used the block salt....do you keep the bbq lid open during cooking?
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:12 am

Sure looks great, Egg :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:18 am

You never see skirt steak down here. I wonder if they call it something else here
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 am

TH - can leave dome open or can close. Closing the dome will maintain the temp of the block and increase smoke flavor and leaving open will increase temp of block and virtually eliminate smoke flavor

JC - skirt steak is normally used for beef fajitas

Neither the steak or the salt block were the stars of this cook. The chimichuri sauce was the star. I recommend it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 am

Egg, I googled chimichuri and in the list of ingredients it said "hot sauce" but didn't say what kind - - do you have anything on the bottle that is more specific :?: The only reason I ask is that I am totally intolerant to Tabasco but would sure like to try this sauce you recommend. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 am

Scratch that request, EH, looks like HEB has what I need and the spice is red pepper flakes so I'm good to go with it. I'm also wondering now if it would do well on my first Tri Tip this weekend :?:
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/gauc ... escription
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:57 am

The chimichurri recipe I used didn't have any hot sauce.
I'm guess there are several versions - here is the one I used.

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
3-4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 Fresno chile or red jalapeño, finely chopped
2 cups minced fresh cilantro
1 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Mix first five ingredients in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes
Stir in cilantro, parsley, and oregano
Add EVOO
Salt to taste

BTW - I would put the sauce on the side for a tri tip. Tri tip cut has the "beefiest" (is that a word - lol) of the whole steer IMHO. i would try it with your favorite rub for beef or google Santa Maria tri tip.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:33 am

thanks, didn't know your Sauce was "home grown" :tup: - - think I'll cheat and buy mine :D good point on the Tri Tip also - - - never done one - - Capt'n Jack also recommended the Santa Maria rub earlier. :salut:
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 pm

that sauce is very similar to a famous italian sauce that we use for christmas lunch when we eat boiled beef, roast, boiled chicken and cotechino...
the original recipe is: cilantro, 2 eggs, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar,carrot, celery, onion, garlic, salt and a bit sugar....the original name is "salsa verde" (green sauce)
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Looks darn tasty to me EH
Thanks for posting. :salut:

Bill
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 pm

EH, looking good, thanks for the recipe. Would this work on other things as well, Like chicken, or pork? CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:21 pm

ChileFarmer wrote:EH, looking good, thanks for the recipe. Would this work on other things as well, Like chicken, or pork? CF :D

I think so. I understand the sauce originated and became popular with folks in Argentina and was served with beef. It may go well on ice cream :? :laughing7: No way.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 pm

It reminds me a lot of Tomatillo Verde Sauce and I love that on Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas :tup:
Eddie Donald
Pilgrim

Postby Eddie Donald » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:17 am

looks good and yummy. Anyone would want to try it

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”