Super Chicken...

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Super Chicken...

Postby Boots » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Some of you guys may be old enough like me to remember there was once a kids cartoon called Super Chicken. Well, today I thought I would post my cook podner Yoda's pictures of the super chicken he did for the ball game last night. Super Bowl - Super Chickens.

He smoked them Texas style with a dry rub and then a mop, but in the late innings sauced them up for the family and kiddos. Before you go thinking he went Kansas City on us, think farther west. He used an actual Hawaiian barbecue sauce (NOH brand made in Honolulu) he and I get in the store locally. And while it's a commercial bottle sauce (and while I always recommend supporting our local guys like Sucklebusters), it is a REALLY good sauce, particularly the spicy which has great slow burn. Also has a bit of that soy and pineapple thing going on down deep.

Long story short, the birds were so pretty I had to post the photos for him.

And I thought I would also post a photo of some deep fried cod I did yesterday for the pre-game. I bought a 6 bolt pressure cooker a while back that is built like a bridge and looks like an atom bomb, but boy can it cook good deep fry. It has more bolts than Frankenstein's neck and is prettier than a leg lamp! Looks like a Cold War Sputnik. The brand is All American out of Wisconsin, I highly recommend, harrummphh.

It's not barbecue, but it is awesome as a side dish. Battered the fish with a scrambled egg/beer bath and then rolled it in flour seasoned with some mojave garlic pepper rub (cracked black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, some red chile power). SHAAZAAAM!!! It was great.

Be well and thrive...Boots.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Super Chicken...

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Boot's, your right . Sure looks like super chicken to me. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:54 pm

That's some mighty purdy chicken! I bet it was lip smakin' finger lickin' good too!:mrgreen:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Good looking chicken, :thap:
I am really digging the fried fish pic, looks like some English style Fish, just like Mama cooks.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Now that's a compliment Limey, I am a fan of the fish and chips deal, and was one of the main reasons I bought the 6 bolt Frankenstein-Dr Strangelove pressure cooker, so I could really deep fry without destroying the Spouse's kitchen (gotta keep Momma happy). My dad's family has been in Texas over 170 years, but my mom was from Annapolis, so we'd have barbecue and steaks my dad would cook, and my mom would fry crab cakes in butter and garlic all the time. People in the neighborhood (1960'-1970's north Texas), thought we weird. Mom came out one time and asked my friends if they wanted to stay for lunch, we were having crab cakes. I ran scrambling into the fast as I could go, but the other kids hung back. In the end, they were forced to come in and try them out of politeness to my mom (this was back in the golden days when manners were still strictly taught and enforced). Strangest thing though, after that my friends would call over to the house just to ask my mom, "what's for lunch?". If mom said crab cakes, we'd have 5-6 kids at the back door in about 5 minutes.

Next project in the cooker is chile rellenos though, with some Mexican stripped brisket stuffed in. It's great to at the top of the food chain.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:21 pm

" Next project in the cooker is chile rellenos though, with some Mexican stripped brisket stuffed in. It's great to at the top of the food chain"

Like the old ELP song says:
' Ooooh....what Lucky Man.....you are!!!!'

You are combining both of my favorite food groups, chiles and briskato! 8)
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”