While at the yuppie organic store

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

While at the yuppie organic store

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:32 pm

I scored a rack of organic Buffalo Ribs for $2.99 a pound. Rack came in 3.56lbs. These are fresh, not frozen. Will have to trim some silver skin off of em. I should have had the butcher do it for me but since he took offense at my observation (guess most folks don't know silver skin when they see it) I decided it would be better if I did it myself.

Too much road time tomorrow to do them so I'm thinking this Sat or Sun it'll be time to fire up Einstein.

Thinking I should treat 'em like beef ribs, but I ain't got it all figured out just yet :shock: :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Dave, will be very interesting on the taste. I bet they will be good. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:26 am

He shouldn't take offense because he knows that rack ain't gonna be boiled. Take some pics Dats :D
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

Interesting, I like buffalo but never smoked it.

I was approached to smoke buffalo and sell it at the American Indian Festival in Dallas but after checking the price of the meat said "No Thanks".
They hit me up about three years in a row then gave up. Heck I would have had to try to sell sandwiches for $10.
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Sounds like an interesting smoke. 8)
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Just found out we're having guests, so I need to pick up another rack in the morning :roll:

Decided to rub the ribs with this concoction as published in Fifty from the Trail, a promo cookbook from Philip Morris USA

1/4 cup chili powder
4 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt (kosher? doesn't say)
2 tsp ground ginger (doesn't sound to mextex to me, maybe omit?)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cummin
1 tsp onion pwd
1 tsp garlic pwd
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/4 to 1 tsp cayenne (think I'll sub chipotle)

Going do up a pot of beans, but instead of pintos I using Anasazi beans. The Mrs also wants some twice-smoked tators and corn bread. Should make for an interesting meal. Might have to root up some tequila for an appertife :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:03 pm

I agree, scratch the ginger...otherwise a decent looking rub.

Do you need to deal with the buffalo meat being so lean?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Gator wrote:I agree, scratch the ginger...otherwise a decent looking rub.

Do you need to deal with the buffalo meat being so lean?

Well I was figuring I could use the WSM with water in the pan or just go with Einstein adding a grate from a long lost ECB on the fire ring with a foil pan to act as defector. These things have much more meat on them than say a baby back.

I suspect the shiners aren't desired, but these aren't comp ribs. I've never come across these before so thought "why not", cheaper than the full spares for sale around here. ANd more meat than the beef ribs that are trimmed to nothing.
Deputy Dave

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Those look great to me! Bet they are pretty lean?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:22 pm

JamesB wrote:Those look great to me! Bet they are pretty lean?

They are lean. I surfed the net and it seems like there isn't alot out there on Buffalo ribs. But what guidence that is out there suggests cooking buffalo like beef, except lower the temp 50*. That would lower my usual smoking temp to 200*, which is pretty close to the danger zone. So the plan is to smoke them at a target temp of 210* to 215* and drap some bacon across the ridge of the ribs. When the bacon is done, I'll use it in the twice baked spuds.

It was hot here today, pushed 90* (which is nothing compared to Tejas I know, but it's close to record high here in the mtns of Colorado) so I may switch over to Roma so I can do the corn bread in Einstein. That way, won't have to turn an oven on in the house. Guess I could use the WSM, but I'm still on the learning curve with that one. Had no discernable bark on the butt I did last weekend :( so I'm a little hesitant to wade into uncharted waters with it.
Deputy Dave

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”