Rattlesnake

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Rattlesnake

Postby DaHorns » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 pm

I had a buddy shoot a 6-7' (darn thing was bigger around that a beer can) rattler a couple weeks ago, at the last cookoff we were at 2 weeks ago we took a section of the cleaned carcas (sp?) and dusted it with some Tony Chaceres (sp?) and cooked it for a while until it looked done. I was hesitant to give it a go, but ended up trying it, and suprisingly enough it wasn't bad.

I was wondering if anyone had a method of cooking the bad boys (other than frying, that was everyone at the cookoffs advice)? I had a guy tell me about a concoction of butter, garlic, green peppers, onions, tequila, salt & pepper, tomatoes, in a foil pouch on the grill. Sounds good, but who knows. I'm trying to get him to send me a picture of it to post as well.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 pm

I've got a rattlesnake hunter friend that says you need to boil them good first to remove the nasties then fry or do what ever ya want. I helped him at a chili cookoff where he did rattler chili and can see what he means about cooking of the nasties it doesn't smell very good when they're boiling.
tarde venientibus ossa....
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Wouldn't you be able to cut them in strips and either fry or saute? Possibly cut them in rings like squid?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:54 pm

In South Dakota they just leave those critters draped over a fence. I'm told they're best made into belts or boots but I have no personal knowledge on the subject. :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 pm

They make good hat bands but I don't think the skin is tough enough for belts or boots, maybe for a show item. Properly tanned they are really soft and silky.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:37 am

I've had rattle snake fried (most common), grilled and and smoked... It really ain't that bad if your willing to work around all of those bones! A person could starve to death before he got enough meat off of one of those things for a meal... at least that is my experience... don't know if any of them was as big around as a beer can tho... did it have more meat on it, or just bigger bones?

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 am

SteerCrazy wrote:Wouldn't you be able to cut them in strips and either fry or saute? Possibly cut them in rings like squid?

I think strips would be tough. IIRC, the muscle runs lengthwise. Usually it's cut crossways into chunks. Generally I see it fried or mixed in a stew or chili, so folks don't quite know what they're eatin'. The bigger ones have more meat, plus the bones're easier to work around.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”