Summer Sausage on the cheap w/link to pics

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 am

bigwheel wrote:Would work great with deer meat if you mixed it at least 50/50 with untrimmed butts. Preferably 60/40 in favor of the hawg. Recall vividly a great pal o mine who had been an Albertson's butcher for 30 yrs (he now got a real job as the the Adams Spice man) who had a bunch of pals who was all dedicated Bambi slayers. They decided one year to pool all their deer meat and make sausage. I kept on telling him how to do it..but did he listen to uncle bigwheel? No. They wound up grinding and stuffing about 200 lbs of venison with two butts for the fat ration. Yeppers..they wound up feeding it to the dawgs. Some folks have to learn stuff the hard way. Apparently Albertsons butchers dont make much sausage. Thats why you cant buy no guts at Albertsons:)

bigwheel

Venison Summer Sausage is great. We always uses beef fat, but pork fat would work too, just heat to an internal of 160*

This from the folks at the USDA
Pork must be adequately cooked to eliminate disease-causing parasites and bacteria that may be present. Humans may contract trichinosis (caused by the parasite, Trichinella spiralis) by eating undercooked pork. Much progress has been made in reducing trichinosis in grain-fed hogs and human cases have greatly declined since 1950. Today's pork can be enjoyed when cooked to a medium internal temperature of 160 °F or a well-done internal temperature of 170 °F.

Some other foodborne micro-organisms that can be found in pork, as well as other meats and poultry, are Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus and Listeria monocytogenes. They are all destroyed by proper handling and thorough cooking to an internal temperature of 160 °F.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Good point on the temps DAT's. Guess I gonna have to boost mine up a bit. Back when I started stuffing folks was mainly worried about trichanae worms (which was supposed to get themselves kilt at around 141) and botulism which was supposed to be prevented by the cure and if you did have a build up of the toxin cooking didnt help none. Wasnt much in the brochures about listeria and e coli. Thanks.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Re: Summer Sausage on the cheap w/link to pics

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:51 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Don't know if this will turn out but it's a cheap experiment. King Soopers had their 91% burger on sale at 1.85/chub. So, thought I try something I saw on net. Kinda of conglomeration of several such recipees.

Took a level tablespoon of Tenderquick and put it in a glass bowl. To that I added 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds (out of the yeller ones), 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Then I added 1/4 cup of good old H20. Mixed it up good then added the ground beef.

Next I scrubbed by hands like a surgon would and commenced to mixing it all up using the squishy finger technique (as opposed to the swishy..never mind).

Now I got this all nice and mixed up. Wash hands again 'cause I forgot to get some plastic wrap laid out before I squished the meat. :roll: Cut me a good long piece of that stuff and put the meat on it, forming into a log all the while pressing it to get rid of any air bubbles. Once wrapped gathered the ends and rotated the middle to create a nice log. Then wrapped that in plasitic wrap again and stuck in a gallon freeze bag and put it in the fridge.

Suppose in a day or two I'll cook it up. If it gets cold out side I'll use Einstein and smoke at 175 to 180 until internal gets to 160? Think that's what I read but will doulble check. If it stays warm, might use the oven.

Hey Dats... I was at two different grocery stores today and neither of them had ever heard of Mortons Tenderquick. You have any idea of where I can find that stuff? I assume that it's a spice and would be with the spices, right? And I couldn't find any black mustard seeds either. The yellow mustard seeds ok to use?
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Can't imagine where you went where they didnt have no TQ. It aint a spice mix. The technical terminology is "curing salt." Kroger and Albertsons both had it last time I was in there. Tom Thumb too I think. It usually tends to hang out in the pickling canning section..if you dont find it there look in the salt ailse.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:06 pm

bigwheel wrote:Can't imagine where you went where they didnt have no TQ. It aint a spice mix. The technical terminology is "curing salt." Kroger and Albertsons both had it last time I was in there. Tom Thumb too I think. It usually tends to hang out in the pickling canning section..if you dont find it there look in the salt ailse.

bigwheel

Thank ya sir... I was at Fiesta and Minyards. I will take a look next time.
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Well aint no wonder you couldn't find it. At Fiesta and Minyards a person supposed to be concentraing on ogling the brown breasted mattress thrashers:)

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:48 pm

I think I got my last bag of TQ at Albertsons it was on bottom shelf under spices with pickling salt.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I think I got my last bag of TQ at Albertsons it was on bottom shelf under spices with pickling salt.

All big grocers out here carry it, next to the pickling salt just like Papa said.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Dang it!!! I went to Albertsons just like bigwheel said to. I looked all over the spice isle and around the pickling stuff. They couldn't find it either! Errrrr!
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Hmmm well if you want to stop by my house I give you a bag of it. Now it sorta long in the tooth so to speak. Might be betta just try to find you a fresh bag. That stuff supposed to start tasting funny after a few years.

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:37 pm

The two Kroger's stores here in town have it on the bottom next to the kosher and pickling salt... Just picked up a bag the other day! If'n ya still having trouble finding it let me know and I'll snag ya some and get it to ya...

Does this sausage thing ever end??? Making batch #3 2morrow! Batch #2 was Bigwheel's Yankee brats and they now be all gone as of tonight!

A fella could have worse hobbies I suppose :lol:

If this keeps up, I might need bigger pants by the time I go back to work in a couple of weeks!

James.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:44 pm

JamesB wrote:The two Kroger's stores here in town have it on the bottom next to the kosher and pickling salt... Just picked up a bag the other day! If'n ya still having trouble finding it let me know and I'll snag ya some and get it to ya...

Does this sausage thing ever end??? Making batch #3 2morrow! Batch #2 was Bigwheel's Yankee brats and they now be all gone as of tonight!

If this keeps up, I might need bigger pants by the time I go back to work in a couple of weeks!

James.

Well, I'm gonna try Kroger Wed.

Oh, and if ya are gettin a little too big fer yer britches, just UPS the rest of that sausage to my house!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:56 am

Be hard to find a hobby much more labor intensive I think.

bigwheel

JamesB wrote:The two Kroger's stores here in town have it on the bottom next to the kosher and pickling salt... Just picked up a bag the other day! If'n ya still having trouble finding it let me know and I'll snag ya some and get it to ya...

James.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:21 pm

[quote="bigwheel"]Be hard to find a hobby much more labor intensive I think.

bigwheel

I hear ya, but it is kinda fun. I haven't made a lot but am working on it.
I give away most of what I make. Have got to get me a sausage smoker. More heat control needed for me. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Unless you go to great lengths to buy fresh sausage in my parts, you have a choice of:
Breakfast sausage (jimmy dean et al)
Brauts (store brand and Johnsonville)
Italian sausage, sweet or hot (bulk and link)
Every once in a while german style sausage (ring)
Hillshire kielbasa,
plain ground pork and hamburger,
Hot dogs and that be about it. Course they got turkey & chicken sausage too but I shy away from that stuff.

When you make your own, the possibilities are nearly endless. And since I found a stuffer next to the tree this morning suppose I'll be making more.
:D :lol:
Deputy Dave

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”