Grandpa's Pork Sausage

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Grandpa's Pork Sausage

Postby Stan41 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:12 pm

My Grandpa used to make all pork sausage, pack it in cloth bags that Grandmother made on the sewing machine. Then he hung it from the rafters of his smokehouse, smoked it a little, and let it age and kind of dry while hanging out there.

Does anyone know the process and recipe? I liked it, but was too little to know anything about what all he did.
Thanks,
Stanley
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:20 pm

Here ya go:(But in todays world I think I'd use some cure)
[color=blue]From an old cookbook -

“Common sense in the household, a manual of practical housewiferyâ€
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:24 pm

The back of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811716937
has a whole section on dry sausages. They can be a bit tricky as they require a long time (days, maybe weeks instead of hours) at temps that most smokers can't maintain cause they so low. Now, one of those electric smokers might do the trick.

Anyway, I have this book and it's easy to read. If you got past 4th grade, you can handle it as he ain't much on ten dollar words. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks to both of you. I don't know whether Grandpa used any cure or not. At the time I remember his sausage he didn't have any electricity, hence no refrigeration. They ate mostly fried pork, fried cured ham, fried chicken. Don't guess cholestrol ever bothered them since they didn't know what it was. Grandpa lived to age 84 and fell dead with a heart attack while opening his gate to drive his car to town. Guess it was all that fat meat that got him.
Stan
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:33 pm

The telltale on whether it contained cure or not would be the color if had a reddish color after drying then it contained cure, gray or brown no cure. I'm talking internal color because if smoked the external color would be brown with a reddish smoke ring.
tarde venientibus ossa....
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:40 pm

I can't remember the color, but I do remember that the smoke house smelled like Morton's Sugar Cure inside.

I forgot to mention, Grandpa also smoked Camel cigarettes and dipped Garrett's snuff.

Stan

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”