Venison Hotsticks

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:09 am

Great observations there OSD. Experienced all the same phenomenon with my KA grinder/stuff also. In addition for some reason it was real prone to eject meat across the room at high velocity while grinding. This was especially prevalent if there was the least bit of added liquid in the meat ration. The little thumb screw which supposed to hold the grinding head in place was also bad about working its way out of the indent slot which give you a spinning grinding head slinging meat in a 360 degree arc all over the kitchen. If I had any extry bullets I woulda shot it a few times.

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 am

BW, that's funny. :lol: but true about them. :? When we bought our KA it was a package deal and came with a bunch of accessories, which included the grinder/stuffer. I had shown the better half the grinder and stuffer I wanted to buy on-line, but she said why? The KA comes with one. :roll: Well, The first time I tried to use it, all heck broke out ( she said I was cussing so bad sailors were blushing ) and I was just acting this way because I didn't get my way about ordering the other grinder & stuffer. :shock: So, I told her to go get it to work. :roll: She was in the kitchen about 1/2 hour and then I saw her go down the hallway. I figured she went to the bathroom. About 15 minutes later she came out to the patio where I was sitting, drinking coffee and handed me a piece of paper and said that the grinder & stuffer I wanted would ship and be here next week. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just smiled and said Thank You. :wink:
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 am

:shock: :shock: OK with both those two remarks...I will just leave the KA for mixin purposes 8) :lol:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Dang this is a repeat story of my KA experience. Tole Mama to tell Santa I wanted a slightly less than a commercial model Tor Rey from Allied Kenco. So at Christmas she unveils the KA with every attachment made for it. We supposed to be able to do a tag team deal where she make pies and I make sausage with it. Aint none of the attachments which worked as advertised and I have to drag the heavy biotch down about once a year for her to make a pie with it. Wimmen is enough to drive folks crazy sometimes huh? :)

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:57 pm

One of these day I'll get me a stuffer. For now, it's the classic Porkert :lol: Has the advantage that the whole thing can go in the freezer if things start to get warm. Those electric gizmo's....kind of like smoking with gas. :stir:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:19 pm

OSD wrote:They are some kind of hard nylon that's food safe. I haven't had any problems with them. I think all those companies get them from the same place. :shock: I've seen it priced from $79.95 to $149.95 and when you look at the specs and pics they are the same.
I just looked at the LEM web site and theirs looks the same too and they want $139.95 for it. :shock:
That's why I thought at $66.95 it was a good buy. :D

The gears on the LEM are stainless steel.. I'm a nut when it comes to making sausage.. I like the meat real cold, so it makes it a bit harder to move through the stuffer..I was concerned that the nylon gears would strip or break a tooth... Thats what I had read on some ratings of that type of stuffer... Not saying its a peace of junk.. If it has been working good for you with no problems...Then I took a $70 hit.. :cry:
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:24 pm

They make some of the best hand crank meat grinders there is. :D That's what I use for grinding meat. :D I even have the stuffing funnels for mine. I just found that the vertical stuffer was easier to use for me. DATs you can get the different stuffing funnels for them at several places if you don't have them or if you don't want to buy a separate stuffer. :D :D
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Smoked, I just looked at the parts list on my stuffer and I had to laugh. The replacement gears for it are $29.95 and stainless. :shock: They don't list nylon replacement gears. :lol: :lol: They sell it with nylon gears but replace them with metal ones. :D :D
I'm sure the LEM was better for you with the metal gears. :D I'm sure you use yours way more than I use mine. 8)
Jim
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:06 pm

OSD wrote:Smoked, I just looked at the parts list on my stuffer and I had to laugh. The replacement gears for it are $29.95 and stainless. :shock: They don't list nylon replacement gears. :lol: :lol: They sell it with nylon gears but replace them with metal ones. :D :D
I'm sure the LEM was better for you with the metal gears. :D I'm sure you use yours way more than I use mine. 8)

Looks like they may have had a issue with the nylon gears...They should be fine if you don't try to force to much meat to fast or bottom out..Im sure 9 out of 10 of them that are stripped are due to bottoming out..
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Smoked wrote:
OSD wrote:Smoked, I just looked at the parts list on my stuffer and I had to laugh. The replacement gears for it are $29.95 and stainless. :shock: They don't list nylon replacement gears. :lol: :lol: They sell it with nylon gears but replace them with metal ones. :D :D

Looks like they may have had a issue with the nylon gears...They should be fine if you don't try to force to much meat to fast or bottom out..Im sure 9 out of 10 of them that are stripped are due to bottoming out..

Many years ago when I was in the business of fixing things, copiers started using Nylar gears. Most were white and some were gray. The gray ones where used where heat was an issue. It was a profit center for the company. Example given: the thing that "melts" the toner into the copy is called the "fuser". In the old days all the gears were metal. When the bearings on the fusing rollers (think wringer washing machine) wore out and the gears would eventually strip and it would make a horrible noise.

By replacing one gear with a Nylar gear, the machine would quit well before the bearings wore out (no noise, just paper jams). We could replace 3, maybe 4 nylar gears before the bearings and rollers needed replacement. 3 or 5 service calls at $95/hr and each time and the tech would only replace a part that cost a quarter! Course we clean the glass, corona wires and other mundane things to use up a 1/2 hour that we were charging for. What a deal.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:25 pm

Well I cant understand why yall dont give no thought to the 3 lb lever action models. I been using one for years. It only take one person to operate it. As long as you aint trying to stuff previously cured meat it works just fine..dont need to be anchored etc. Like the brochure say which come with my first electric grinder Oyster brand..The meat cure in the cases just as good as out. I'm a firm believer in that theology. Lot easier on the equipment too. Just thinking out loud here.

bigwheel
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:55 am

bigwheel wrote:Well I cant understand why yall dont give no thought to the 3 lb lever action models. I been using one for years. It only take one person to operate it. As long as you aint trying to stuff previously cured meat it works just fine..dont need to be anchored etc. Like the brochure say which come with my first electric grinder Oyster brand..The meat cure in the cases just as good as out. I'm a firm believer in that theology. Lot easier on the equipment too. Just thinking out loud here.

bigwheel

I have a 3lb horn stuffer...You want it..?? Its yours.. I spend more time repacking it when the meat pushes around the piston...I make to many sausages to use that one anymore..
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:28 am

Well thanks for the kind offer but I dont hardly use the one I got now let alone adding another. Not to be redundant..but as I said previously the only trouble I've ever had with mine is back in the good old days when I tried to follow some recipes which called for letting the meat cure prior to stuffing. Under that scenario it will either break your arm or the handle to push it outta there. I get a slight bit of backflow but not enough to worry about (maybe half a handful). All it takes is to scoop it up and throw it back in the meat pile after you have finished the down stroke. Now the one I got is high dollar made in Americka and come from the Sausage Maker in Buffler New Yawk which could have some tighter tolerances than some of the imports made by Christian slave labor in commie China. I do know of some folks who seem to have been driven crazy by the problemo you have described. Past few years I have been using the small home pack dry salted guts which allege to do 25 lbs or so at one sitting. The guts come in fairly short strands compared to commercial brine pack hanks so about one throw of the lever come out just about right to fill one gut strand. I have a fancy big mama 1 hp grinder with a stuffing attachement which I plan on learning how to use for stuffing one of these days.

bigwheel
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:59 pm

I got the 15 pound stuffer from Northern tool. Just because it had steel gears. I think it was about $200.00 w/ freight. I saw one on ebay (used) with plastic gears that were striped. Kinda put me off. Course you don't know what was being forced through it. My advice get the best one you can afford. The one from Northern is made in China. (isn't everything) CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”