South African Biltong

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wilded USER_AVATAR
wilded
Wrangler

Postby wilded » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:01 am

Here is an original South African Biltong Recipe. It is sold all over Africa but I prefer our Jerky. :)

BILTONG RECIPE is for the basic South African beef biltong. It is an interesting and tasty alternative to beef jerky. Like Beef Jerky, Biltong can be produced in various flavors by adding things like garlic or chili peppers to the recipe. Personally, I find the original plain biltong the most enjoyable.
• 25 lb beef (top round/sirloin/London broil/ eye of round)
or (Wild Game Meat)
• 4 pints warm water
• 1 ¼ lb fine salt
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup coriander, coarsely ground
• 2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tbsp black pepper, ground
• 1 cup red wine vinegar
• 2 tsp saltpeter (optional)

South African Biltong. A great taste.
Cut the meat along the natural dividing lines of the muscles of the meat of choice Cut into strips of approximately 2-inch thick and any desired length, always cutting with the grain.
Mix the salt, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, saltpeter, pepper and coriander together. Rub the seasoning mixture thoroughly into the strips of meat. Layer the meat, with the more bulky pieces at the bottom, in a glass or stainless steel container. Sprinkle a little vinegar over each layer, as you add them.

Leave the meat in a cool place for 12 hours or more, depending on how salty you want the meat to be. (Some experimentation may be required to ascertain the correct length of time to let the meat 'marinade' for, according to your taste.)

Remove the meat from the marinade Mix the water and vinegar and dip the meat into this mixture. This makes the biltong shiny and dark.

Once this is complete, the biltong is ready to dry. Pat the pieces of meat dry and then hang them up on S-shaped hooks, or use pieces of string, about 2 inches apart. Hang the meat in a cool, dry place with an oscillating fan blowing on it. Ensure that the air is dry, as too much moisture will cause the biltong to spoil. The biltong is ready when the outside is hard and the center part of the biltong strip is still a little moist. Let the center dry according to personal taste.
Make time for the important things in life.
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:30 am

Interesting :D :D Sounds like it would be real good. :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:25 pm

Interesting, but I think I'll pass on this one. 25# of beef is a lot of cow to experiment with. Hate to be out $100 or more if I decided I didn't like it. That and there is nowhere I could hang the meat without some critter eating it.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:10 am

Old fella down here used to make whut he called dry german sausage by hanging it up in his attic. That might work for ya. Doubt you got many critters in the attic.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:31 am

Folks down in old Me-He-Co just hang it up outside. :shock:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:09 am

Or a person could hang it in their very own Biltlong Box. Looks like all it takes is a cardboard box and a light bulb.

http://www.sa-austin.com/other.html

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:57 am

Or I guess a feller could pony up for one of these

http://www.sausagemaker.com/MeatSmokers.html
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:35 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Or I guess a feller could pony up for one of these

http://www.sausagemaker.com/MeatSmokers.html

I've got one like that I used a couple times to do sausage for concessions. Don't do concessions anymore so it hasn't been used. Maybe I ought to drag it out and do some jerky....
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:04 pm

You know I been thinking on this topic and have about decided to make jerky like this. Hang up the meat in the upright of the pit and set a box fan to blow direct into the firebox..firebox door open of course. Bet that would dry that stuff out real well..keep it away from the critters etc. Fella wanted some smoke flavor an electric hot plate and some wood chips should be just whut the doctor ordered. Whatchall think?

bigwheel

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”