Venison Roast

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bithlord
Pilgrim

Venison Roast

Postby Bithlord » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:49 pm

So I've got a venison roast this year. Its the first time I've gotten a chunk of Bambi that looked big enough to do a decent smoke on. Any suggestions for how to prep it?

I was thinking of just putting some rub on it and smoking it similar to how I would a beef brisket -- but I figured I'd see if anyone here has smoked venison before and had a better idea.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Venison Roast

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Bacon will be your friend here. I'd lard it with bacon. Did someone say bacon 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Bithlord
Pilgrim

Postby Bithlord » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Bacon will be your friend here. I'd lard it with bacon. Did someone say bacon 8)

How about weaving a "mat" of bacon, using that to wrap the roast, and then applying a rub and dropping it on the smoker, and cooking until its up to temp.

I do love bacon.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:20 pm

If you smoke it, you'll want to take it off when its med rare. If you cook it like a brisket, no amount of bacon will save it as venison is arguably the leanest meat on the planet.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
SWMO-Tom
Wrangler

Postby SWMO-Tom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 am

I have made some Smokey venison shoe leather in the past by smoking it like brisket.

As per the other suggestions, wrap in bacon, pull it off at 140F.

Also I had good luck last venison smoke by filling the bottom of my smoking chamber with water. Alternately you could but a water pan in you fire box.
Tom (former Plano Texan)
Good One Marshall (CL steal)
WSM 18.5 “C” (CL find)
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Marinade, inject, wrap in bacon... do something to keep the meat moist. Venison will dry out easily.

+1 on the pulling @ 140F
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”