Prime Rib

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Prime Rib

Postby DJ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Hey I loaned my Pig Cooker to a fellow Pig Burner as he needs some xtra space to cook up a dozen Bone In Prime Ribs for a catering gig this week-end. Neither of us have ever cooked PR before, at least on a smoker, so figured I'd gather a little info from you guys that have.
1. What temp should he try to atain and hold?
2. In a foil pan, or right on the grate?
3. When I cook em in the oven, I run at 325* for bout 12 min a lb, and you?
Any advice would be appreciated.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Prime Rib

Postby OSD » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:08 pm

I like them cooked right on the grate, but I have done them in a pan with a wire rack in the pan.

If you can hold around a 325° pit temp, 12 min per pound will be close. This will give you the dark red center( rare ) and shading out to the grayish-brown edge.

If you cook them slower at around 250°, the meat will have a more even dark pink color from center to edge. That's looking at about 17 min per pound.

Both ways work great. I like to cook mine to 115°- 120° internal temp ( temp will rise another 5-10 degrees after pulling and resting ), then pull off the grill and wrap loosely with a foil cover for about 30 min before I start slicing.
Jim
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks Jim

OSD wrote:I like them cooked right on the grate, but I have done them in a pan with a wire rack in the pan.

If you can hold around a 325° pit temp, 12 min per pound will be close. This will give you the dark red center( rare ) and shading out to the grayish-brown edge.

If you cook them slower at around 250°, the meat will have a more even dark pink color from center to edge. That's looking at about 17 min per pound.

Both ways work great. I like to cook mine to 115°- 120° internal temp ( temp will rise another 5-10 degrees after pulling and resting ), then pull off the grill and wrap loosely with a foil cover for about 30 min before I start slicing.

Caldwell, Texas Native
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 pm

I saw a picture of a prime rib in a catalog once. The grocery stores around here keep 'em in a safe in the walk-in cooler that's on a time lock with a hire-a-cop standing guard outside the door. :roll: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:14 pm

So DJ, how did the primes turn out?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Don't know as I'm in Connecticut on company business and he had not come in prior to my leaving this morning...Back on Thursday, will let ya know
dj

Caldwell, Texas Native

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”