Meat Question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finney USER_AVATAR
Finney
Pilgrim

Postby Finney » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Listen to Bill... Investigate the WSM. You can actually get a lot more in there than people think. You just have to be creative. And temp control is 100x better than that side firebox unit you are looking at. It depends on how much you want to "baby sit" you cooker versus how much you can put in it.
Iron Pig BBQ Competition Cooking Team - www.IronPigBBQ.com
"Reverse Sear" info website - www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:30 pm

WSM are like blondes, easy to .... never mind :lol: (I'm a blonde BTW)

I say buy all of them. Klose makes a great pit, so does gator, so does Spicewine and the list goes on. I won't even temp you with a ciramic :D

My advice, for what's worth, is to stay away from smokers you buy in a big box store. They're hard to regulate, rust fast and are just crap. But in the end, do what you want to do. Forgot, what's it you're planning on buying? :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:WSM are like blondes, easy to .... never mind :lol: (I'm a blonde BTW)

I say buy all of them. Klose makes a great pit, so does gator, so does Spicewine and the list goes on. I won't even temp you with a ciramic :D

My advice, for what's worth, is to stay away from smokers you buy in a big box store. They're hard to regulate, rust fast and are just crap. But in the end, do what you want to do. Forgot, what's it you're planning on buying? :wink:

Well, was planning on a Smokin Pro... I sure wish that I could afford one of the Klose, Gators, etc...

My plans are to get a cheaper one for a couple of years then upgrade to a nicer one such as a Gator, etc...

Out of the "box store smokers" I have heard that the WSM and the Smokin Pro are the better ones to get.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:08 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:WSM are like blondes, easy to .... never mind :lol: (I'm a blonde BTW)

Well, was planning on a Smokin Pro... I sure wish that I could afford one of the Klose, Gators, etc...

My plans are to get a cheaper one for a couple of years then upgrade to a nicer one such as a Gator, etc...

Out of the "box store smokers" I have heard that the WSM and the Smokin Pro are the better ones to get.

Around my parts the WSM is a special order thing, no one-but I mean no one especially the box stores have them. I'm even thinking about picking up a WSM, just trying to concoct a story that the wife will believe. :lol: Can't comment on the "Smokin Pro" as I've never had the pleasure of meeting one.

Might want to check E-Bay also. Some guys have gotten some pretty good deals there.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 am

DATsBBQ wrote:With briskets you can get a packer (whole), flat or point (flat + point = packer). Pork ribs: Baby backs, Full spares or cut down version of a full spare called a St Louis. I usually get whole packers and for pork ribs go for St Louis if they ain't too pricey. If they are I go with the whole spares. The Mrs likes the St Louis.

Now make sure you get a left handed briskett if you can :lol:

Don't even bother to ask :D :lol:
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:With briskets you can get a packer (whole), flat or point (flat + point = packer). Pork ribs: Baby backs, Full spares or cut down version of a full spare called a St Louis. I usually get whole packers and for pork ribs go for St Louis if they ain't too pricey. If they are I go with the whole spares. The Mrs likes the St Louis.

Now make sure you get a left handed briskett if you can :lol:

Don't even bother to ask :D :lol:

Sounds too much like a 3/16 hole compressor...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”