My first smoken weekend

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

My first smoken weekend

Postby perryranch » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Well I didn't get my pit painted but I did get that side firebox on. Here it is maybe this spring break I'll get it cleaned on the outside and painted.

On Sunday I smoked some country style ribs for 4.5 hours. I used B&B lump with some pecan wood the last 90 minutes or so. Here they are from start to finish to plated up. They sure were good. DH was eating them cold this morning(had leftovers cause DS2 decided to stay at his grannies)

Today we made a small batch, about 50 pounds, of wild hog and deer sausage. So I had to smoke some of it. I know the flavor will be better in a couple of weeks but we haven't had homemade sausage in a couple of yrs. We usually make a couple of hundred pounds at a time. Most of this was done in links(long links) I did put back a couple of packages to do fatties with. DS1 made some regular link sized ones those are what I smoked. I also had some beef steak things. Threw on some pineapple to.

I smoked the sausage for about 3.5 hours, the steak 2 hours and the ribs and pineapple about 1 hour.

here's the sausage at put on at about 3:20

Here I put the steak things on at around 5:00 look at that sausage at this point the sausage was about 110*

At 6:00 I put on a couple of leftover country style ribs to heat up and some pineapple. No pics this time but here is the finished products at about 6:50 all piled up

Here is the steak and sausage plated up. DH loved the steak and the sausage was really good. It is going to be good and spicy.

The first day I had a hard time keeping my temp at 200* it keep wanting to drop to 190* so I keep adding lump sometimes unlit once I lit it before I added it. After doing some reading I realized I didn't start with enough lump in my box. So today I remedied that and was able to keep my temps at around 225* to 235*.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:00 pm

Tami,

That is one fine looking first batch. I specially like the looks of the deer sausage! :wav:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Congrats on a great first smokeImage
Jim
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 pm

PR that is a fine looking spread!
Nice job :wink:
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Gator I used the Sucklebusters on it in fact have used it one everything since I got it. We love the smell and taste of it. As soon as you get that hoochie mamma ready to market I wanna try some of it. We like a little bite with ours sometimes.

thanks for the comments I'm really enjoying learning how to do this. Next weekend I'm doing beer can chicks.
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Good Job. I wish I could see it.

I have got to figure out why I can see some pics that are posted and not others.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Here ya go Big Mike they are the ones with yetserdays date on them. the first 8 of them I believe. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v130/kuntrymama/BBQ/

As to why you can see some and not others I have no idea. Sure strange.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Yum! Yum! Yum! :lol:
What an outstanding meal! And there is nothing better than leftovers! Cold is better the next day!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:08 pm

perryranch wrote:Here ya go Big Mike they are the ones with yetserdays date on them. the first 8 of them I believe. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v130/kuntrymama/BBQ/

Thanks, that does look good. I'm looking into a sausage stuffer so I can start making my own.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Congrats on a great cook! You're a natural :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:40 am

Looking good Tami, thanks for the props. Im having chile powder troubles right at the moment, but will get back to my Hoochie Mama soon. :D
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
desi
Rustler

Postby desi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:25 am

nice cookin PR!
OINK!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 am

perryranch wrote:Gator I used the Sucklebusters on it in fact have used it one everything since I got it. We love the smell and taste of it. As soon as you get that hoochie mamma ready to market I wanna try some of it. We like a little bite with ours sometimes.

thanks for the comments I'm really enjoying learning how to do this. Next weekend I'm doing beer can chicks.

Good lookin spread Perry!!! I'm gonna do a couple beer can chickens tonight!
leftover biscuits USER_AVATAR
Leftover Biscuits
Pilgrim

Postby Leftover Biscuits » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 am

That's some good lookin' grub there PR ... got me jonesin' some que, fersure. Nice pics.
Be True To The 'Que
leftover biscuits USER_AVATAR
Leftover Biscuits
Pilgrim

Postby Leftover Biscuits » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:03 am

Big Mike wrote:
perryranch wrote:Here ya go Big Mike they are the ones with yetserdays date on them. the first 8 of them I believe. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v130/kuntrymama/BBQ/

Thanks, that does look good. I'm looking into a sausage stuffer so I can start making my own.

What kind of stuffer you lookin' for, Big Mike? I bought one from Northern Tool a while back ... nice lil' stuffer ... one them cylinder/crank type jobbers ... 5 pounder ... only cost about $65 or so. Got a nice grinder from them, too ... whole kit & kabootle, tax & shipping included, less than $200.
Be True To The 'Que

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”