While Smoking 3 Butts smoker temps dropped to 125 deg

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Qnavry
Pilgrim

While Smoking 3 Butts smoker temps dropped to 125 deg

Postby Qnavry » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:21 am

I got 3 butts going at 5:30 AM by 6:30 i had fallen asleep. The smoker was crusing at 250. It was raining out side and i had the ECB under a canopy that fell.(too much water). At 8:20 am i woke up to check it and the smoker temp was at about 125deg. Is there any problems with the meat cooking at this low temp for about an hour to 1 1/2 hr? I thought i read that this could be an issue. I dont want to make anyone sick? The internal temp was at about 116 for one of the butts when I checked it.

Thanks
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:55 am

Your not going to have endangered anyone really badly with this so far.

Get the temperature back up and keep it up at cooking temperature and there should be no damage or danger to the folks that get to eat it.

The biggest danger that you'll have heard of is the 40 - 140 danger zone, and although it is somewhat of a problem while meat is heating up, it wont take the full 4 hours you're allowed for safety sake to get you back out of this zone.

It is much more important once things are cooked and are cooling down that you get it back down through this zone as quickly as you can.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:12 am

Shouldn't be a problem for that long. Just get your cooker back up to temp as quick as you can and finish cooking. :D

Stop over at the Wanted Posters section and introduce yourself. :D
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Welcome Qnavery you should be OK with the meat, most of us have had a similar event happen.
Introduce yourself and don't be a lurker.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Kindly scuse the interuption but will say if a bug is going to take up residence on meat it works from the outside in. Meaning just cuz your middle part aint up to snuff for a while it aint no biggy. Now you start talking ground meat its a hoss of a different color..cuz whut used to be the outside bacterial laden layer is now the inside. Smoke is also a natural preservative. Aint many bugs can live in its presence. I kept a heavy offset smoked brisket in my ice box all summer one time and finally gave it to the little short legged kraut fraulein bartender down at the local watering hole. Tole her to wrap it in tinfoil with a cup o black coffe and heat it in the oven till it started smelling good. She follwed directions and come back and swear that the best brisket ever been seen on planet earth. It did not give her the squirts etc. See whut I'm saying here? That is why the native americkan injun peeples smoke stuff..so to preserve it and to also run nekked with the little animals. Simple huh?

bigwheel
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 am

Hey... aloha and welcome. I thought I saw a "understanding" someplace on this forum that "lurkin" is not a good thing. If you lurk, you might learn a few things but how ya' gonna learn more cause nobody here will know you are there with a question or 2. See how much info you got already...

As OSD and PT sez introduce yourself..... :)

a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”