Chuck Roast?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Chuck Roast?

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:51 am

OK... My wife went to Sams yesterday and while there she bought a package of two Chuck Roasts that totals about 7.5 LBS.

How do ya smoke a Chuck roast? I thought that I would smoke one of them.

I am figuring on rubbing with some Hoochie Mama (I assume that would be good), but from there I am lost. Heck, I don't even know how to eat the stuff! I assume it's pulled like a butt?

I would assume that I should estimate about 1-1.5 hours per pound?

Someone help me! :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:16 am

You can do them like a butt. They will take a little longer to cook than pork ( closer to 2 hours ) and if you are going to pull them you want to take the internal temp to 200* - 205* and then let them rest for an hour or two wrapped in a cooler. Hoochie Mama will work great. You can also foil them at around 165* internal to help with the time a little. Or you can do them like a roast and take them to around 140* ( will be med ) internal, pull them and rest about 1 hour and slice them thin. :D
I cook them all the time and they are great done in the smoker. :D

Chuck, go to my web site and on page 2 of the food pics, on the right-hand side there will be a pic of a chuck roast I did. Click on the pic and it will take you to a slideshow of the cook. This one went to 125* internal ( we like them rare ) and sliced. :D
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:05 am

Chuck,
Jim is right on plus that Hoochie Mama on that Chuck Roast will be awesome! Chuck's smoked and pulled like butts are fantastic! Good luck
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:52 am

Chuck is one of the few things that I always end up foiling mid cookl... OSD is right on with the approx. times. I foil at about 165°-170°, adding beef broth and a bit more rub. Cook it until it gives up (about 200°) and shred it. Great on sandwiches, tacos, enchiladas, with some eggs and tators for breakfast etc...

Good luck!

James.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:47 am

I agree with the consensus. Glad you brought it up, though, because it's been a while since I've done one. Let us know how yours turns out. BTW, shredded, it also makes great nachos......
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:50 am

I like to pull 'em like a butt. 1st time I did one the Mrs. didn't think she would like it, now she likes 'em better that butts 8)

'bout the only thing I do a little different that the great advice above is that I take 'em off the smoker when they get to 195*.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:11 am

Chuck, good luck on the chuck!

FYI, Hoochie Mama has a lot of onion, celery and garlic in there + the other stuff. Should make a fine smoked roast. Please post pictures... :wink:

Sounds like the makings of a great recipe; Chucks smoked chuck. :D
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 am

Put it in a pan when time to foil, add some beef stock, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, when you have a couple hours left.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 am

Everything Jim said! I too, foil toward the end, because they tend to dry out. Many times, I will cook on a bed of foil to catch those early juices to put on it when I foil it. You can put a bed of onions underneath the foil, or foil pan while smoking. Amazing! I like them better than briskets personally.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Aside from grinding up for chili meat or burgers..chuck roast is best left to let wimmen cook it in the house. Warden does a killer version where she lays it on foil...covers with a can of mushroom soup...Lipton dry onyawn soup and a coupla T. of A 1 sauce. Wrap it on up in the foil and cook it in the oven at 350 for about 3 hrs or till it tenders up. She got the recipe off the soup can I think. Sure is good with mashed taters and pintos.

bigwheel

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”