Smoking a fresh ham for thanksgiving

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Copass pupil
Pilgrim

Smoking a fresh ham for thanksgiving

Postby Copass pupil » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:58 pm

I bought 1/2 of a pig. It’s a berk/duroc mix and have a ham from it. I’d like to smoke and use a honey mustard glaze on it. Anybody recommend how to prep it. Brine or no brine. How long to smoke it for and a target temp for success. I’ve read where it came out dry and would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoking a fresh ham for thanksgiving

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:47 am

wish I had more info for you, but...
I did a fresh ham one year and did not brine it, Lets just say I will never, ever do that again.
pretty sure I way overcooked it, that experience is firmly embedded in my never do that again book.
I may not have the correct method to cook it but I sure do know how to NOT cook a fresh ham.. :x
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:37 am

g'morn, C.P. - - - I love to inject things with Tony Chacheres "INJECTABLE" Butter Marinade. They have 2 types - - - Butter AND Butter and Jalapeno. I have a bottle of the Butter/Jalapeno that I'll be either using on a Turkey, Chicken or Ham before too long. In the past I've only used the Butter but I'm gonna try the other one next time. It has always added lots of Flavor and Moisture for me.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+ch ... d=uvpv-713

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

GOOD LUCK
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:39 am

the Injectable Garoontees good penetration and can be put in those places that tend to become dry over long smoking times. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:43 am

Amazon even has a Roasted Garlic and Herb Injectable version and they should be able to drop it off on your front porch for you :salut: :cheers: :chef: :laughing7: :laughing7:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tony+chacher ... doa-p_1_19
Copass pupil
Pilgrim

Postby Copass pupil » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:17 am

Parts
I wanted to control the salt on this one. I read about aiming for 5% but I chose to go to 4%. The bacon I do is at 1.7% which I knew was the lowest percentage you could do for it being safe to eat plus I always felt with commercially made ham it was too salty for my taste plus I’m getting older and the salt effects me.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”