First Brisket on new UDS

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:08 am

Hello Stan41; look me up (Bar "G" BBQ) at the Goldthwaite cook-off on Friday 04/25/2008 if you would care to and I would be more than happy to talk brisket with you. Saturday would also work but gets a little busy until after final turn in.
BAR "G"
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 am

Bar G: I will probably go down there either Friday or Saturday. Will say hi if I do.

To all who tried to help me diagnose the problem with my first brisket on the UDS:
I think I have figured out what happened. I have been reading on this forum about the advantages of a heat deflector to make the heat more uniform in the center of the cooker and the outside. I built one like this:
It hangs 15 inches below the cooking grate.
I think that this deflector did its job too well. I think it deflected most of the heat from the center over to the side of the barrel and left the middle relatively cool. Since all 4 of my exhaust holes are near the edge of the lid, the heat just went over to the side and then straight up through the exhausts. Next time I won't be using the deflector.

What do you all think?
Stan
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:44 pm

Sounds pretty reasonable. That deflector looks to be about the same diameter as the drum. Maybe a smaller deflector would work better. Any chance you could try another one w/o the deflector?
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Rob: The deflector is 15 inches in diameter and the drum is 22 1/2 inches. I will try another one in a few days and I definitely won't use the deflector next time
Stan41
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Yep that sounds feasible so when I make a UDS maybe exhaust in the center and two handles on the edges.
tarde venientibus ossa....
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:35 pm

PT: I kind of like the 4 exhaust holes at the edge. It gives you a lot of control of the air, but if I make another heat deflector I will only make it about 8 inches in diameter. I'm not sure they are even necessary.
Stan
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:00 pm

I have my second UDS setup for 3 levels of grates. I had figured I could use the 3rd, lowest, one to place some sort of water pan or such on it if I decided to do so... I have yet to use pan or anything, but what I did find to help on my last brisket cook on the drum was to use a double folded piece of HD foil on the second great directly under the brisket. It worked rather well.

You can sort of see it here.

James.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Hey Stan. Take a minute and look over this tutor page. It will help you in selecting briskets, but more over it will let you know why you are selecting it. I recommend this to everyone that asks me the hows and whys about briskets.

Brisket Selection and Preparation
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 am

Txngent: Thanks for the link. Lots of good information there. I read every word of it and bookmarked it for future reference.
Stan41
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:13 am

Here's my latest brainstorm for a heat deflector/shield/distributor. It is made from a sheet of stainless steel 8 in. X 10 in. with 1/2 holes drilled in it. It hangs down 12 inches with a hook hung on the cooking grate. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks it would work better than my other one.
Stan41

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”