What is...

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

What is...

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:00 pm

...the formula for figgerin out how much food to cook for a certain amount of people?

Was eating lunch with Mom today and I was reminded that she is in charge of our family reunion for the next two years.

She told me that one of my uncles volunteered to cook some brisket. I got to thinking that would be a good time to practice for the comp in Sept.

I was thinking of doing some brisket (sharing the duty w/ my uncle), pulled pork and some sausages. Of course there will be a few ABT's there too!

How do I figger out how much meat per person? They range in age from kiddos to hungry teens to old folks in their 80's that wont eat much. Lately there have been about 50-60 people show up, but if they hear that I'm cookin there may be several thousand to feed! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:18 pm

I had already looked at that, but it looks like it is more of the dollar and not how to figure up how much food for X amount of people. Unless I saw it wrong...
Chuck

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Generally, and this is just me, I figure a pound uncooked of brisket and pulled pork per person. Generally, by the time it all cooks down, I get about 1/2 lb cooked/person. Sausages and other "single serving" foods, I usually plan on 1.5/person.

Now, my feeds are usually 10-15 folks, not 60.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:51 pm

TX Sandman wrote:Generally, and this is just me, I figure a pound uncooked of brisket and pulled pork per person. Generally, by the time it all cooks down, I get about 1/2 lb cooked/person. Sausages and other "single serving" foods, I usually plan on 1.5/person.

Now, my feeds are usually 10-15 folks, not 60.

OK...

I have cooked burgers for 70 a few years ago at the reunion and have cooked about 1800 or so hot dogs for the school kiddos, but I have never cooked anything like this before.

I figger it's good practice!

Thanks Rob!
Chuck

soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:10 pm

nascarchuck wrote:and not how to figure up how much food for X amount of people. Unless I saw it wrong...

Hi Chuck

The hard part is trying to make one-size fits all determination of what folks will eat.

If you input the number you think will turn up into B6.
If you input the number of meats into B7
If you input the number of servings per lb into B8

Then you can read adjusted amounts on the plate in B9 and individual meats D9

You can input the sides into B10
You input the number of sides into B11

Once you have them inputted you can read the amounts to cook for each meat from column E for the numbers you inputted, if you change the numbers of guests, or meats or servings, then the numbers in column E will change too!

Most folks will eat brisket over pork and pork over sausage so you can increase the brisket and the pork and decrease the sausage.

I like to serve 3 to the lb or 5.33 Oz / portion, when serving multiple meats like the 3 on your menu, the algorithm reduces it to a reasonable plate figure.

The figures I get for 60 people uncooked are:

Brisket 25 lbs
Butts 27 lbs
Sausage 3 x 5 lb packages

If you need clarification on anything feel free to PM or email me or just continue this thread.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 am

SoEzzy wrote:
Most folks will eat brisket over pork and pork over sausage so you can increase the brisket and the pork and decrease the sausage.

I like to serve 3 to the lb or 5.33 Oz / portion, when serving multiple meats like the 3 on your menu, the algorithm reduces it to a reasonable plate figure.

The figures I get for 60 people uncooked are:

Brisket 25 lbs
Butts 27 lbs
Sausage 3 x 5 lb packages

If you need clarification on anything feel free to PM or email me or just continue this thread.

Thanks!

The plans were for brisket, but I thought that I might do a butt or two to give people a choice and maybe introduce it to the ones that have never had pulled pork. Sausage, well, how can you have BBQ without some sausage??? :lol:

Thanks again for the help!
Chuck

jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 am

Can't help much with the calculations, becuase I always cook way to much. But.....I must say I like your sense of humor!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”