Time to start the fire

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Time to start the fire

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Thanks all. Yes Joe! We all liked them. Next time I might put a sprinkle of powdered or brown sugar on the bacon just to add a little extra sweet to it. Used the double stuffed too. The insides turned nice and gooey when they heated up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Candied bacon wrapped double stuffed Oreos. Must be the ultimate snack!

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 pm

*faints*

:salut:
Moink!
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 am

As usual I'm late to the party but WOW - everything looks good from here. I do like the fatty idea crusting up the patty at the end. Will have to try that for sure.

So, you've owned an offset before. How easy was the LSG to maintain temp once up to snuff??? Did you have any fall-off in temps toward the end of the cook? Obviously the exhaust was wide open... how about the intake side?? I ask as I'm trying to compare my traditional LSG offset to the new fangled ones.

Again - fantastic job. :texas: :chef: :texas:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:16 am

txsmkmstr wrote:As usual I'm late to the party but WOW - everything looks good from here. I do like the fatty idea crusting up the patty at the end. Will have to try that for sure.

So, you've owned an offset before. How easy was the LSG to maintain temp once up to snuff??? Did you have any fall-off in temps toward the end of the cook? Obviously the exhaust was wide open... how about the intake side?? I ask as I'm trying to compare my traditional LSG offset to the new fangled ones.

Again - fantastic job. :texas: :chef: :texas:

Thank you!

My other off set was an old country pecos and a char grilled before that so not exactly apples to apples in build quality but here is what I have noticed so far. Will compare to the pecos because the other was junk.

On the OC I was adding wood every 20 - 30 minutes it seemed and still constantly moving logs in between. With the LSG and the fire management basket I add about one an hour when using the wood I bought off a supplier and it usually lights almost immediately. The wood from academy I have to give a little more air before it catches but that’s on the wood not the pit. Haven’t preheated any sticks on top yet because Chris recommended you go 4-5 cooks before putting anything up there. I could open and do it on the griddle plate just haven’t had the need. With the gas assist Im up and cooking in 30 minutes. The OC was an hour or more to get things settled in. Temps adjust really easily and quickly with a slide of the intake. Most of my cooking at 250 or so was with it open less than a quarter. I wanted to raise temps up to finish at 300 and opened to a little less than half.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 am

They didn’t recommend that you run it wide open on both ends?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:47 am

bsooner75 wrote:Most of my cooking at 250 or so was with it open less than a quarter. I wanted to raise temps up to finish at 300 and opened to a little less than half.

That's right about where mine is. These things draft so well you almost have to shut the intakes down to get highly visible smoke. Yet the smoke flavor is there especially with hickory. I've moved on to post oak and found that to be less smoky but very flavorful. Thanks for the update.

Oh yeah.... good on not using the firebox top just yet. That paint seems to take a real long time to set. I have a few marks in my top from placing wood up there. Mostly if I dropped a piece or dragged on when handling. Usually, I preheat in the firebox itself but it's nice to take the chill off the wood using the top.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:40 pm

GRailsback wrote:They didn’t recommend that you run it wide open on both ends?

If you run it wide open on both ends how would you control temps? Smoke stack stays open but I throttle at the firebox based on what temp I want

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:33 pm

You control the temp with wood. Not the adjustments. Mine pit runs wide open on both ends. Insulated fire box, and the fuel consumption is pretty low for the size of it. It seems to me you are trying to control a blazing fire, or a relatively big fire by adjusting. Mine, wide open, just add wood.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:45 pm

ChefPointingUp.jpeg
ChefPointingUp.jpeg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 pm

GRailsback wrote:You control the temp with wood. Not the adjustments. Mine pit runs wide open on both ends. Insulated fire box, and the fuel consumption is pretty low for the size of it. It seems to me you are trying to control a blazing fire, or a relatively big fire by adjusting. Mine, wide open, just add wood.

Interesting - I’m using the method the pit builder gave me and it seems to be working. Possible differences in design maybe?

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am

I've always advocated controlling temp by fire size but usually only to those who don't understand how to build and maintain a clean (sweet blue) fire. The intake/exhaust settings mean very little if you can achieve quality smoke. Again, the LSG pits draft so well that even closing down the intake (to a point obviously) allows for a clean fire and reduces wood consumption compared to WFO. This assumes the pit is up to temp and ready to cook on.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:23 am

txsmkmstr wrote:I've always advocated controlling temp by fire size but usually only to those who don't understand how to build and maintain a clean (sweet blue) fire. The intake/exhaust settings mean very little if you can achieve quality smoke. Again, the LSG pits draft so well that even closing down the intake (to a point obviously) allows for a clean fire and reduces wood consumption compared to WFO. This assumes the pit is up to temp and ready to cook on.

I agree - with my OC I had to keep the door open basically or it would choke out. I think the firebox on my LSG is smaller than yours (maybe?) and I’m burning mini splits in it so hard to get much smaller than just adding one log at a time. The initial (big fire) picture I posted was for heating the pit up to start cooking so I start with a charcoal base and a log.

I’ll try and remember to get you some more definite times between adding fuel next cook. I was guesstimating this time but still think around an hour for one mini log sounds right.

All comes down to - more than one way to skin a cat - as my grandmother used to say

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:02 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
GRailsback wrote:You control the temp with wood. Not the adjustments. Mine pit runs wide open on both ends. Insulated fire box, and the fuel consumption is pretty low for the size of it. It seems to me you are trying to control a blazing fire, or a relatively big fire by adjusting. Mine, wide open, just add wood.

Interesting - I’m using the method the pit builder gave me and it seems to be working. Possible differences in design maybe?

I wouldn’t think it is a difference in pit design. Because in my opinion those are Klose clones anyway. Pits by JJ certainly are, if you look at those they are nearly identically. And the LSG are not much different. But mine is designed to be wide open. And that is how they tuned it as well. So I did a grid drawing of the tuning plates, and when I pull them out for cleaning, I have the measurements to re-install to the exact distance as to not change how it cooks. I would bet if you ran your new one wide open you would still have great results. All high end pits are going to draft well regardless.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:45 pm

GRailsback wrote:I would bet if you ran your new one wide open you would still have great results.

Agreed 100%... However, my fire would be so small that I'd have to add a tiny split every 10 minutes - insulated F/B's rule. :thap:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”