Brisket point beef chunks

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

caz USER_AVATAR
caz
Pilgrim

Brisket point beef chunks

Postby caz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:02 pm

So my wife bought some brisket point chunks from H-E-B before closing on a good deal, any tips on cooking these?? Seem to be just burnt ends ready to cook. Was going to smoke some ribs tomorrow and was thinking about just throwing them in a pan next to them for a while?? Cheers
I drink at the bar like I own it.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Re: Brisket point beef chunks

Postby Smoking Piney » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Sounds like burnt ends to me.

Pitch them in with the ribs and see how they turn out. :D

Might take a little longer than the ribs to render.
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 pm

That’s different for sure. How large are the pieces?
caz USER_AVATAR
caz
Pilgrim

Postby caz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:15 am

Probably 2”x2” some a little smaller.. Thinking it might need some liquid in with it ? Will try to post a pic in a few
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 am

Interesting. Curious to see how this turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:32 am

If you cook them low and slow they will take 8/10 hours, if you cook them hot and fast they will take 5/6 hours.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:14 am

caz wrote:Probably 2”x2” some a little smaller.. Thinking it might need some liquid in with it ? Will try to post a pic in a few

I wish KAM would see this but I’m going to say cover with rub and lay on a sheet of heavy foil and smoke for 2 or 3 hours then transfer to a small 9x13”ish pan with 1/8 inch of beef broth in pan covered with foil for another hour or so then open and put on your sticky sauce choice and take off foil until that becomes tacky but not scorched. Just my guess Buddy
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:19 am

Rambo wrote:
caz wrote:Probably 2”x2” some a little smaller.. Thinking it might need some liquid in with it ? Will try to post a pic in a few

I wish KAM would see this but I’m going to say cover with rub and lay on a sheet of heavy foil and smoke for 2 or 3 hours then transfer to a small 9x13”ish pan with 1/8 inch of beef broth in pan covered with foil for another hour or so then open and put on your sticky sauce choice and take off foil until that becomes tacky but not scorched. Just my guess Buddy

Pretty solid advice. Biggest concern would be drying them out. Just keep an eye and when they get the bark / color you want that’s when they get wrapped up. Be sure and probe for doneness as well.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:30 am

We save our points and trimmings from comp briskets then freeze them. My wife makes carne Guisada with them and it is awesome.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:34 am

Rambo wrote:

This is a good plan but if you have a beef jerky tray place them on that and watch them. Once they start to bark up go to the covered pan with a little liquid and tender them up. Then sauce them and let them get sticky.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:24 am

k.a.m. wrote:
Rambo wrote:

This is a good plan but if you have a beef jerky tray place them on that and watch them. Once they start to bark up go to the covered pan with a little liquid and tender them up. Then sauce them and let them get sticky.

And there you have it :cheers: :salut:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:13 pm

k.a.m. wrote:We save our points and trimmings from comp briskets then freeze them. My wife makes carne Guisada with them and it is awesome.

One of the best dishes ever

caz USER_AVATAR
caz
Pilgrim

Postby caz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 am

k.a.m. wrote:We save our points and trimmings from comp briskets then freeze them. My wife makes carne Guisada with them and it is awesome.

Decided to go this route bc of the weather we had in the Conroe area. I seared the meat, put in the crockpot with some beef broth, crushed tomatoes, spices and pickled jalapeños. Turned out amazing, the family destroyed it. Thanks for the tips peeps!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:29 am

:tup:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:30 pm

caz wrote:

Decided to go this route bc of the weather we had in the Conroe area. I seared the meat, put in the crockpot with some beef broth, crushed tomatoes, spices and pickled jalapeños. Turned out amazing, the family destroyed it. Thanks for the tips peeps!

I am glad it worked out for you. :D.
Another favorite is chili or crock pot roast with the ranch dressing powder I think it is Mississippi roast
https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/
Brown your chunks first though for this.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”