Pulled pork question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Pulled pork question

Postby perryranch » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Well tomorrow morning I'll be starting my pit around 6 and hope to have the butts on buy 6:30 no later than 7. My question is since this will be for Easter dinner how would it be to put the pulled pork with sauce in crockpot to warm it Sunday.
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Sorry Tami, I don't know. Im sure Steer or OSD would know. They will be around shortly-Give ya a good answer.
a stumpted toe hurts
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Tami, you could do it that way and it will turn out OK. :D I don't like my pulled pork heated in BBQ sauce. I'm not a real fan of it that way. :roll: I prefer to heat it in a pan in the oven at low heat ( 250* ), if it is a little dry I use a little apple juice with some rub in it to add the moisture rather than sauce, and then serve the sauce on the side. That way if somebody doesn't want sauce or wants more sauce they can put on the amount they want. :D If it's in a food saver bag, you could heat it in a pan of simmering water and do the same thing. :D I just don't like pulled pork drowned in sauce, I want to taste the meat first and the sauce or other fixins' second. :D JMHO
Jim
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 pm

When we did the funeral dinner, we finished the pork a few hours before time to eat. We foiled it and then pulled it onsite and put it in one of those big electric roasters to keep warm. We served the sauce on the side. That worked well for us but we didn't have to hold it for hours. You could do like Jim and just put it in the slowcooker with some apple juice and rub or if you foil it, then you can also add the juices back to the meat in the slowcooker.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 pm

OSD wrote:Tami, you could do it that way and it will turn out OK. :D I don't like my pulled pork heated in BBQ sauce. I'm not a real fan of it that way. :roll: I prefer to heat it in a pan in the oven at low heat ( 250* ), if it is a little dry I use a little apple juice with some rub in it to add the moisture rather than sauce, and then serve the sauce on the side. That way if somebody doesn't want sauce or wants more sauce they can put on the amount they want. :D If it's in a food saver bag, you could heat it in a pan of simmering water and do the same thing. :D I just don't like pulled pork drowned in sauce, I want to taste the meat first and the sauce or other fixins' second. :D JMHO

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I've often cooked and pulled pork the day before serving. Pull then place in aluminum pans Covered with foil and then into the fridge. Before time to serve, leave in pan, add a bit of apple juice and more bbq rub and mix in, then re-heat in an oven or pit until warmed through. Works pretty good this way... Doesn't get mushy and is not drowned in sauce, just go easy on the juice...

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Whut is a crock pot?

bigwheel
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:12 pm

Ok I do believe I have my answer. I'm trying to avoid having the oven on I won't put sauce on it just a little apple juice and rub mix, just enough to keep it moist not wet and put it in the crockpot. Unfornutitly the crew I'm cooking for (not counting mine guys) like a lot of sauce. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Aloha Tami,

I have done hundreds and hundreds pounds of pork in an imu (Hawaiian bbq pit in the ground) The only seaoning I use is sea salt so when the time comes to reheat I would do as Jim sez (low oven) and add water if it dries out.

I found out that pork takes to reheating handily with out loss of quality. I have frozen the kalua pork in 20-25 lb batches and reheated in steam cookers and commercial ovens. You should not have any problems of reheating pulled pork then serving the sauce on the side.

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:03 am

OSD wrote:Tami, you could do it that way and it will turn out OK. :D I don't like my pulled pork heated in BBQ sauce. I'm not a real fan of it that way. :roll: I prefer to heat it in a pan in the oven at low heat ( 250* ), if it is a little dry I use a little apple juice with some rub in it to add the moisture rather than sauce, and then serve the sauce on the side. That way if somebody doesn't want sauce or wants more sauce they can put on the amount they want. :D If it's in a food saver bag, you could heat it in a pan of simmering water and do the same thing. :D I just don't like pulled pork drowned in sauce, I want to taste the meat first and the sauce or other fixins' second. :D JMHO

What Jim said.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 am

perryranch wrote:Ok I do believe I have my answer. I'm trying to avoid having the oven on I won't put sauce on it just a little apple juice and rub mix, just enough to keep it moist not wet and put it in the crockpot. Unfornutitly the crew I'm cooking for (not counting mine guys) like a lot of sauce. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Tami,
if the crew likes the sauce I would still let them put as much as they want on it. If you over sauce it while you are re-heating the pork may turn out mushy.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:08 am

As Jim mentioned earlier, it's hard to beat the food saver bag simmer thing. Works so well, that I don't do it any other way.

Put out a couple of sauces and let the horde add sauce as they go along the serving line. Don't forget the slaw!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”