Post oak vs white oak?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tscket
Pilgrim

Post oak vs white oak?

Postby tscket » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:35 am

Hey newbie here from upstate NY.
I've been smoking for a few years now but only about 2 to 3 times a year. Mostly pork butts and ribs. I generally use any kind of apple I can get and or hickory since that is in abundance here. I just did a brisket for the first time and it came out great. I did post about it earlier because I wanted more insight and thank you to the responders. I used post oak (white oak) mainly because from all the research I really wanted to do a central Texas style brisket, k.i.s.s.. My question for you all is whether there is a difference between the species of white oak? I ask because its hard to get post oak up here but plain old white oak trees are greatly available. I know I could just try but whole packer briskets are also hard to come by if you're not a restaurant. If anyone had any experience with using the two or for that matter any other wood. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thank you,
Ed
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Post oak vs white oak?

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am

The only 2 oak types I have *KNOWINGLY* used are live oak, and white oak. I love live oak but it is incredibly hard to split by hand methods; axe, hatchet, etc. The taste difference between them for me was white oak is milder. White oak doesn't keep as long either. Anyhow.. I have tons of white oak available where I live now, along with hickory and some pecan. Last year, my neighbor cut down 3 black walnut trees I still have plenty of. Lol! That's a darn good wood for the smoker too.
(Insert witty signature here)
tscket
Pilgrim

Postby tscket » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:09 am

Thanks for the information. Very much appreciated. I'll try regular white oak next time.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Post oak seems to have the strongest flavor, but i have used white and red a few times and they both give very good results.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:34 pm

My oldest Son runs an Offset and uses only Post Oak and from the taste, I'm sure he'll continue to do so. :tup: :chef: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:My oldest Son runs an Offset and uses only Post Oak and from the taste, I'm sure he'll continue to do so. :tup: :chef: :cheers: :salut:

With the above said, I agree with him and if my wood guy has post, we cook w/ post! :texas:

rb
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:10 pm

A couple of times he has brought over some brisket that his wife said was too smoky (no way Ho-zay) and we really enjoyed it. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Not to pop any bubbles here but post oak is a white oak.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:55 pm

???????Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????
Maybe in color but I was raised to identify a Post Oak and a White Oak as separate trees. :dont: :scratch: :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:56 pm

This explains what I am talking about.
I'm thinking that Papa Tom and I are just disagreeing on a Technicality

Within the white oak group is a species called white oak. This white oak species is very common and widespread; it is often the species we get when buying white oak lumber. This is indeed a topnotch species and is likely what you are used to processing.

Post oak, another species in the white oak group, is the same density as white oak, but is about 10 percent weaker and 20 percent more bendable. The hardness is the same in both. Processing for both is the same.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:39 pm

WHITE OAK GROUP
White oak (Quercus alba)

Bur oak (Q. macrocarpa)

Chestnut oak (Q. prinus)

English oak (Q. robur)

Holm oak (Q. ilex)

Oregon white oak (Q. garryana)

Overcup oak (Q. lyrata)

Post oak (Q. stellata)

Sessile oak (Q. petraea)

Swamp chestnut oak (Q. michauxii)

Swamp white oak (Q. bicolor)
tarde venientibus ossa....
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:41 am

Fully dried post oak is unbeatable flavor wise.
At 14% moisture content it also burns just right, not too fast, not too slow and the coal base is moderate so temps don't tend to run wild later in the cook.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:00 am

Chasdev wrote:Fully dried post oak is unbeatable flavor wise.
At 14% moisture content it also burns just right, not too fast, not too slow and the coal base is moderate so temps don't tend to run wild later in the cook.

That slow burn spoils you on a stick burner, but i found it was hard to keep my coal bed going w/ the time it takes to burn a full Post log. I am now cutting them down to about 12" and splitting them 1 mroe time.

rb

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”