Temperature Monitoring

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

a7las
Pilgrim

Temperature Monitoring

Postby a7las » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 pm

When smoking the last few years I've been using a probe connected to the grate to monitor the temp of my smoker but that can be frustrating because it's more sensitive than the lid mounted thermometer due to the swings in temp being instant-read.

Wanted to see what the consensus was if you guys feel it's overkill or the way to go?

I appreciate the feedback.
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Temperature Monitoring

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:44 pm

First , Welcome to the Forum. There is a separate forum for Pit Accessories and thermometers . You should find what you're looking for there .
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 pm

If you don't mind , go over to the New Member forum and introduce yourself :salut:
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am

I use digital probes religiously I also have door therms as well. Train yourself to not over react when the digital swings up or down. Learn where your cooker likes to run whether it be 250° to 275° or higher and let her go. I know my door therms will be reading around 250° which in turn lets me know my grates are around 275° on the digital so I use the door as a reference.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
a7las
Pilgrim

Postby a7las » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:43 am

Rambo wrote:First , Welcome to the Forum. There is a separate forum for Pit Accessories and thermometers . You should find what you're looking for there .

I tried not to look like a noob and searched before posting but didn't find that subsection of the forum. I'll head over and check it out.
a7las
Pilgrim

Postby a7las » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:48 am

k.a.m. wrote:I use digital probes religiously I also have door therms as well. Train yourself to not over react when the digital swings up or down. Learn where your cooker likes to run whether it be 250° to 275° or higher and let her go. I know my door therms will be reading around 250° which in turn lets me know my grates are around 275° on the digital so I use the door as a reference.

I feel the more I smoke the less I want to deal with the probes and the anxiety of the ambient temperature swings.

Thanks for the feedback.
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:57 am

a7las wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:I use digital probes religiously I also have door therms as well. Train yourself to not over react when the digital swings up or down. Learn where your cooker likes to run whether it be 250° to 275° or higher and let her go. I know my door therms will be reading around 250° which in turn lets me know my grates are around 275° on the digital so I use the door as a reference.

I feel the more I smoke the less I want to deal with the probes and the anxiety of the ambient temperature swings.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you know the difference between grate and door and are confident you can manage your cooker then park the digital probes and enjoy the day. :D I like the digital because usually I am doing other things and can have my temps close by without baby sitting the cooker. Do I need them not in the least but it does make my day more manageable.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
GRailsback
Outlaw

Postby GRailsback » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:17 pm

I use the gauges on my pit, and a thermapen, that's it.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”