Need Advice On Smokers

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Need Advice On Smokers

Postby William O Young » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:45 pm

In Canada their are loads of barbecue's but very few smokers , although popular in USA are only just recently showing up in hardware stores.
I am totally illiterate about smokers and would like some suggestions.I see a wide range of prices of them them on amazon.com. ("my favorite store") What would be the very minimum price range a person should buy as a starter smoker. . I mean for just small batches of sausage from a five pound stuffer for home use. .I see both gas and electric . Is one method better than the other.
Of course being in Canada just six miles north of the border, I am asking way ahead of time because I probably would have to wait until spring when it warms up to get into smoking sausages outdoors ..Would probably require to much propane or electric outside in the winter ? ? ?
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Need Advice On Smokers

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 am

I can't recommend any particular smoker, but I use a Weber smokey mountain. Very happy with it.

I disagree that you can't smoke during winter. I live in Norway with pretty harsh winters. I use the smoker and my grill all year around.

During winter it's much easier to do cold smoking e.g. smoked cheese.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am

When you want a SMOKER to SMOKE meats with then Propane or Electricity is ?probably? not the way to get a good SMOKE Flavor. :dont: :salut: However, you could opt for one with a Wood Chip Tray/ETC if that was enff smoke flavor for you. :scratch: :roll: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:27 am

I would look into getting an insulated cabinet smoker like a backwoods. Being so close to the states you should be able to get it drop shipped close by.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am

k.a.m. wrote:I would look into getting an insulated cabinet smoker like a backwoods. Being so close to the states you should be able to get it drop shipped close by.

Keeping in line with keeping cost to a minimum I have been thinking of something in the lines of the link provided.
But this is not an insulated unit which makes me think it would use a LOT of propane when trying to keep it at a desired temperature.Please advise if this type would be suitable for Canadian winters .
Yes , I live 6 miles north of the Idaho border . I have both a post office box and a USP/Fedex etc pick up location there where my items are shipped to just a stone's throw inside the US border . I slipped over the border just yesterday and picked up a sausage stuffer that should be better than using the stuffer on my Kitchenaid mixer . Keep in mind that I have to pay 35% extra on anything I order from the states due to dollar exchange rate but that nearly always costs less than buying identical units in Canada .
https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGY784B ... MBJ5T33C0Z
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:21 am

I would think propane may be a problem in the winter because of the cold affecting the gas. I would look at an electric then.
Or maybe a pellet cooker.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/master ... id=6982518

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Woo ... gIHdfD_BwE
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 am

I'm not sure if there will be a problem with propane. How cold is it at your place during winter?I use my propane grill all the time. Sometimes with temps below -20c or -4 F.

What I have discovered is the piezoelectric igniters sometimes can be troublesome below 0 C.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Winter weather is hard on pellet smokers. Hard to keep temp. You might be able to add an insulating blanket to it but even at 30-40* was hard to get a proper temp for meats with it. Now my stick burner is completely different.

Green egg or the primo grill where it’s ceramic would be better.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Throwing my 2¢ worth in here.
I love building things with wood, but I cannot in good conscience call myself a “Woodworker”. If I make a drawer, for example, my joinery will be butt joints, finish nails and wood glue. A true woodworker will use hand cut dovetails to join drawer sides. Sorry, but I don't have the patience for that kind of detail, but that's my choice.
In the same vein, I imagine many Pit Masters believe burning logs to generate coals to add to the firebox, and attending to details, like tinkering with the vents to achieve a perfect, constant temperature are just a part of the overall experience, which adds to the satisfaction of achieving the Perfect Q. Again, while I appreciate their quest for perfection, I prefer something closer to idiot-proof smoking, sort of a get it going, then forget about it 'till it's time for the next step. That's why I bought a pellet smoker.
The point is, there is more to a pit that how well it works. It must, and possibly more importantly, it needs to fit your style of smoking, and how much effort you want to put into it.
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
:texas:
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks for your responses guys ,I am still looking at all the options .I am leary about pellet models simply because I have had two separate pellet stoves to heat a house over the years .I found them to be quite prone to problems . Sure glad to be on Natural gas furnace where I am now. As far as propane goes , in my area I seldom ever see an outdoor barbecue being used after the end of September and into spring. Don't know if it has to do with the suggestions mentioned above ,We are plus and minus up to about 6C and as low as minus 6 or 8 at night this month .Getting into Jan and Feb it will be all on the minus side with an average of about -10C but occasionally going as low as -18 for short periods. I am thinking that electric would be the best choice for me but of course I will keep doing some research for a while .One of the main concerns is also the lowest price possible without jeopardising too much quality and features .
Thanks again for your help and I will be looking into the process of smoking meat because this is a new hobby to me.Love the first batch of bratwurst I made and will soon be trying a batch of hot italian sausage to try out my new stand alone stuffer .

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”