Pork Rib Roast

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

'BoutTime
Wrangler

Pork Rib Roast

Postby 'BoutTime » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Just bought a pork rib roast from Costco, the ones they usually have around the Holidays. I bought one last year, and cut it up into pork chops to cook in the Ninja Foodie. The first one, the best looking of them, came put pretty good, but the rest of them were lean and not tender at all. At $5 a pound, it wasn't that big of a hit on the ol' wallet. But I swore I'd never buy another one again.
Never say never.
Since they are now down to $3 a pound, I decided to try again, only this time smoking it. I found a few vids for doing them, but the smoking temps varied greatly. Any recommendations on temperature? A thermometer will determine the time, of course.
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
:texas:
jaspaq
Wrangler

Re: Pork Rib Roast

Postby jaspaq » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:55 pm

What I like to do is cook it about 250 till 140 pull and then rest for about ten minutes maybe 15 and then enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:11 pm

Well, this is a revolt'n development. My pork roast is now at 141° IT - on one end. It's 123° on the other. I flipped ends/sides half an hour ago, and the temp difference remained the same. I used a third thermometer, and it verified the readings.
Not sure what to do, but I plan to let the one end go to 145°, and cut a few ribs off that end, then bring the rest to 140°.
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:36 pm

That’s a good idea
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 pm

The cut portion was pretty good, but the part I left smoking did the same thing – with a 15° difference.
If there was a saving grace of this meal, it was the mess of collard greens I made. I had a three-rib section of some baby back ribs I smoked the other day, so I pulled the meat off and put it in the greens. Tasted PDG.
Bottom line is, even though this was a practice roast, I doubt I'll do another one for a while. At least until I can figure out the TD problem.
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:11 pm

One thing I've learned throughout the years is that sometimes you just get a crappy piece of meat. If you enjoy that cut I wouldn't give up.
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm

This is the first thing I have cooked on the Pit Boss, so I am far from being discouraged. I just need to experiment and practice. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the P-Setting, thinking using a toothpick was too silly to work. But work it did. Nothing in the manual indicates how to set it.
I had the pit set on 250°, but it ran a bit high. I used P-3, setting it as if I knew what I was doing.
Anxious to do a brisket, and a beef rib section. Wife pushing me to do a chicken. So I see some good eatin' in the near future.
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:23 pm

You said the "Magic Word" that would qualify you as my personal Chef :chef:
"COLLARD GREENS" :tup: :salut:

I wonder if wrapping that Rib Roast about 1/2 way thru, would help it be more juicy and tender :?:
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:29 pm

'BoutTime wrote: A thermometer will determine the time, of course.

And THIS is how and why the phrase, "I'll never cook another _________ again." came to be.. :(
(Insert witty signature here)
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Lots of pellet Gurus here; OUP, Papa Tom, And many more that can help you get aquatinted with your machine
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 pm

[quote="OldUsedParts"]You said the "Magic Word" that would qualify you as my personal Chef :chef:
"COLLARD GREENS" :tup: :salut:

Eating another bowl right now, with some HEB Jalapaño Cornbread. The rib meat I added really does the trick.
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Go ahead and fix me a Bowl and butter my Cornbread :tup: - - - I"ll be crossing the Colorado in a jiffy :laughing7: :lol: :D
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:10 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Go ahead and fix me a Bowl and butter my Cornbread :tup: - - - I"ll be crossing the Colorado in a jiffy :laughing7: :lol: :D

Well, hurry before they're all -
Ooops, too late.
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Shucks, well at least I got to see the Loblollies :salut:

Rambo wrote:Lots of pellet Gurus here; OUP, Papa Tom, And many more that can help you get aquatinted with your machine

I must say that Papa Tom helped me more than anything else and I look to him for any and all advise when Pellet Cooking. :bow: :tup: :salut:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”