Thoughts....

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

honeybadger
Pilgrim

Thoughts....

Postby honeybadger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:37 pm

Wondering what opinions are out there, Smoke the whole bone in Pork loin. Or cut into thick chops first. I'll be brining either way.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
motabbq
Rustler

Re: Thoughts....

Postby motabbq » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:43 pm

honeybadger wrote:Wondering what opinions are out there, Smoke the whole bone in Pork loin. Or cut into thick chops first. I'll be brining either way.Image

Depends if your smoking all then that’s a big part of answers you may be seeking.

As whole you’ll get smoke around the whole roast only the two chops on either end would have smoke on 2 sides. Cut into chops and smoke is one all sides(as well as rub). Not saying that smoke on all sides is bad.. or that less rub on whole roast. just really comes down to personal. Plenty of other things to keep in mind but that’s my take..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
honeybadger
Pilgrim

Postby honeybadger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm

lean toward doing the chops, then sear with brown sugar rub after smoking to get a good crust...

smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Chops would be the best way to ensure they're done right, but a whole rack has the pretty presentation.

I say chops. It's all about what eats good. Presentation is cool, but you can't taste it. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 pm

A third option is a crown roast which is just like doing it whole just a fancier presentation with the opportunity to stuff the inside of the crown roast with sausage. I would go whole roast unless there were a bunch of folks to feed.

But I would do chops :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 am

Depending on the situation. But for a small family dinner or for a few guests, I would go for the whole roast. I'm a big fan of presentation. A whole roast looks better, imho. The cook will be different and depending on what you want to do. A high quality roast done right and where you get the great taste of pure juicy meat with just a little taste of the rubs and glaze from the edges is imho often better than a chop drowned in glaze, rubs and everything else that hides the taste of the meat itself.

E.g. if I cook a nice dinner for friends or my family during weekend evenings I go for the whole package. A nice table, dimmed lights, a few candle lights,something good in the glasses. It's all about making the dinner something special and a great social event. We usually do this in the weekends, even if the cook is nothing special. When people are sitting around the table and you bring in a great looking dish it creates expectations. Cutting up a roast at the table creates good vibes and your guests expect this to be great and they wanna eat.

A great presentation sets you in a good mood for great tastes. It won't make bad food great, but great food will be even better and it just lifts the whole experience a little bit.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
honeybadger
Pilgrim

Postby honeybadger » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks for the great input guys! Footnote: The guy cutting the meat looked at my porkchop pic on phone and cut me 8 2" thick beef ribeys! At 6.99 a pound I rolled with it. Gunna dry brine 4, smoke tomorrow then cast iron sear with butter. Vacuum sealed 4 for larer. Image

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 am

Joernolav wrote:Depending on the situation. But for a small family dinner or for a few guests, I would go for the whole roast. I'm a big fan of presentation. A whole roast looks better, imho. The cook will be different and depending on what you want to do. A high quality roast done right and where you get the great taste of pure juicy meat with just a little taste of the rubs and glaze from the edges is imho often better than a chop drowned in glaze, rubs and everything else that hides the taste of the meat itself.

E.g. if I cook a nice dinner for friends or my family during weekend evenings I go for the whole package. A nice table, dimmed lights, a few candle lights,something good in the glasses. It's all about making the dinner something special and a great social event. We usually do this in the weekends, even if the cook is nothing special. When people are sitting around the table and you bring in a great looking dish it creates expectations. Cutting up a roast at the table creates good vibes and your guests expect this to be great and they wanna eat.

A great presentation sets you in a good mood for great tastes. It won't make bad food great, but great food will be even better and it just lifts the whole experience a little bit.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

I'm with you!
Moink!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 am

honeybadger wrote:Thanks for the great input guys! Footnote: The guy cutting the meat looked at my porkchop pic on phone and cut me 8 2" thick beef ribeys! At 6.99 a pound I rolled with it. Gunna dry brine 4, smoke tomorrow then cast iron sear with butter. Vacuum sealed 4 for larer. Image

Just my 02 cents on this...

Cast Iron sear makes all of the difference in the world, great choice

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:18 am

Those are some nice slabs.

Looking forward to finished pics. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D