NEW Q: Who Do You Guru To?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Re: NEW Q: Who Do You Guru To?

Postby TxSquarebody » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Texas A&M BBQ Camp....tons of great info with fantastic cooks lecturing. You won't leave hungry either!
Custom 500 gallon trailer smoker, char-grill duo side by side with added fire box, maroon 36" firedisc, 36" Blackstone
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 pm

It’s a valid question and advice is freely given here. KAM is super friendly to lend advice and for that matter so is everyone else. It’s doesn’t matter what area you are in here. I always find out more info then I ever walked in on. It makes this place so interesting. Growth, friendship and the common bond we share so very unique.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:57 pm

I would say this forum is my main source. Lots of great info around here. Often when I cook something new I search this forum for similar cooks. Chances are it's done several times before. I find it interesting when folks posts failures. That's something to learn from .

Besides that I have a book written by Meathed Goldwyn. Lots of great info and recipes there. He's also doing a good job in revealing all the myths surrounding BBQ. Explaining why they are wrong.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:47 pm

'BoutTime wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
'BoutTime wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:To be honest I am not sure I have ever had one. I spend most of my time in the competition side of BBQ which is a pretty secretive jungle. I have watched some of Aaron's videos and he breaks it down pretty simple so folks do not get nervous trying things which is good. To be honest brisket is probably the easiest cut to master if you listen to someone who can break down the basics for you and not over complicate it with techniques.
Most new cooks try to duplicate masterful moist briskets and fail mainly because they choose a poor cut like a select from Walmart or local grocer. In order to succeed you must have a good marbled brisket to start with. Next is temps the old school is low and slow but truth be known hot and fast delivers exceptional results and can turn a select or choice into a nice finished product because the cook time is reduced and moisture is retained.
My techniques are about as basic as it gets.
15 lb. upper end choice or prime with minimal trim season while cooker is heating up.
Fat cap down cook at 275°/300° till 165°/170° internal in the flat.
Place brisket in a aluminum pan with 1 cup of beef broth cover with foil and cook till 205°in middle of flat and check for probe tender. If tender let rest for at least in pan 2 hours un-cover after the first hour trying to bring the brisket back down to around 165°then slice.
If I have learned anything in this crazy world of BBQ is that there are many roads to get to a good finished product just find the one that works best for you. :D
41366349_2044006908997101_6562467165067280384_n.jpg

Well said, k.a.m. I might not do it the same way, but you are right in a way that's right for you. Not even a month into smoking, I still have so much to learn, but mostly things only Experience can teach.
Now that I have a new dual-probe remote thermometer, I will know my smoker temp, and see if it changes, of is steady throughout the process. When I did my Snake the other night, I noticed to took over 2 hours to exceed 200°IT. Is that normal? I will figure it out over time. But that one incident told me a lot about "peeking" at your brisket just to see how it is going. You lose your heat, it will take some time to get back up to temp. Little things that make a big difference.

What are you cooking on?

El Cheapo Weber Kettle. I was trying to get accessories to allow me to smoke a brisket when I stumbled upon the snake method of arranging charcoal. It was on an episode of Cook's Country. I found some videos, and could see the advantage of that method. So far it has worked like a charmm. So my desire for a better smoker is no more.

You will be doing just fine once you learn your Kettle, I have offset / WSM and Kettle and I will gladly use my Kettle for any cook I do, from ABT's to Pork Butt I know exactly what my kettle will do and thats alll you need to know to have great cooks whether grilling or low and slow or Hot and fast. Learn your cooker.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 pm

:salut: howdy C'boy - good to see you dropped by :tup: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”