Charcoal based rubs on briskets

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Charcoal based rubs on briskets

Postby tri3forme » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Has anyone ever used them? What were/are your thoughts? I am a purist at heart and developing a nice bark on your brisket is, in my opinion, a kind of.....badge of honor. It adds a nice texture, depth to the overall flavor of the brisket and highlights the skills of the pit master . These days, I'm seeing a lot of folks using charcoal based rubs on their briskets who use pellet smokers or ceramic smokers so their briskets end up having that bark look but I don't know if it's just done for aesthetic appeal or is it like "bark in a jar" where it ends up having the same characteristics as a traditionally developed bark? Inquiring minds want to know......
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Charcoal based rubs on briskets

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Another inquiring ?mind? would like to know. :dont: :scratch:
Isn't this for Meats/Briskets that are done in the Oven or Stove, kinda like liquid smoke :?:
Why would you use this if you were cooking with wood or charcoal :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:58 pm

I used Hardcore Carnivores Black Rub on a tri tip. There’s a thread on here somewhere about it. While I did like the color, I wish the flavor had more pop to it. Might go over it with SPG next time. Also I’m not sure I’d use it on a large cut of meat. It’s good for steaks or tri tip but covering the surface area of a brisket that already barks up nicely over a long cook is overkill. I feel the charcoal based rubs are more for meats you’d cook at say medium rare. Gives a nice black bark / pink interior contrast picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

I can see the purpose on a quicker cook, like you said.
Thanks, Sooner :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”