To Trim or Not To Trim,That is the question?!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldgreenbean
Wrangler

To Trim or Not To Trim,That is the question?!

Postby oldgreenbean » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:12 am

I want to try a pork Butt this time & I seen that some guys trim the fatcap & some do not.I just thought I would ask to see what ya'll think first.I would think not to cut it till it is done.Let me know what ya think!
Treat people online like they were in your living room talking to you & your Granny.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 am

I've done it both ways. Normally, I don't trim 'em at all unless the fat layer is excessive. Good luck with the cook and let us now how it goes.

James.
oldgreenbean
Wrangler

Postby oldgreenbean » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:16 am

Any other common mistakes I might make?
Treat people online like they were in your living room talking to you & your Granny.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:29 am

Not really. Butts are about the easiest thing to Q... I prefer the bone-in models for Q. Really hard to screw up. Are you planning on pulling it or slicing it? If your going to pull it cook it until around 195°-200° internal or until you can about pull the bone out easily. If your planning on slicing, cook to about 180° and your good to go.

Good Luck!

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:20 am

Not much to add, JamesB hit it right on the nose. :D I prefer bone-in butts for pullin'. Let us know how it goes. :D :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:36 am

I have never trimmed em at all, but I thought about having the next one cut in half so I can get more bark.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 am

I agree with the others, but I might add that I sometimes inject the butt with apple juice. adds a little moisture and flavor. Just my thought!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 am

Personally, since I've only made pulled pork, I never trim. Whatever doesn't melt is easily removed, IMO, while I'm pulling the meat.

Even if I was slicing the pork, I'd probably leave it alone for moisture and protection. Guests can then trim their slices, or eat it, whatever they choose.

Other than that, James is dead-on. A butt is an easy cook, so unless you over- or undercook it, you should be fine.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:54 am

Right on the "kini popo" JamesB about temps. For butts or shoulders, I would trim if it looks too fatty. I agree w/ OGB about removing the fat after it is cooked. The fat keeps it moist.

I like "bone in" for pulled pork... when it is done I use the bone to shred (pull) the meat. :lol:

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
Allie

Postby Allie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 am

We don't trim the fat either unless it's really excessive. Most of the time it can just be removed when pulling. We usually use bone-in butts also. We also inject with apple juice and rub mixed together. We've done it both ways but prefer the injected meat over the other.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 am

I always trim the fat cap on butts less they destined to be ground up as sausage then I leave it alone. You can trim it and there is still plenty of fat left to cook it. Sorta like brisket.

bigwheel
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:16 am

Well, as you can see, you can trim, or not, as you choose.

One more bit of advice. With pulled pork, plan on about 1.5 hours per pound of meat at low-n-slow temps (225-250°). But start early, as it can take longer than this. You can always rest the meat in a cooler if it's done early, but it's tougher to rush the cook. I've done both, and I definitely like being ready early.

Also, cooking temp isn't as big a deal with a butt as with some other meats. I've cooked pork at 230° and at 350°. It still tastes good. So if you get in a bind or have some temp spikes, don't stress. You can cook it faster, if needed, or it can ride out temp spikes.

Good luck, and please post pics.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 am

Seldom trim butts my self. When you can pull the bone out without resistance......you might be overdone :lol: Nothing beats an accurate thermometer :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:19 am

What they said except they forgot to talk about the Hog Waller use it as a rub before cooking and as a shake after cooking. You'll see what I'm talkin' about.....
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”