Gift from the neighbors!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Gift from the neighbors!

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:01 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Txdragon wrote:
Rambo wrote:Black Walnut is No Bueno for cooking

Llooking more into it, seems debated on smoking meat forums too. Some folks use it and like it, some avoid it like the plague. :dont: I guess I'll have to dig deeper!! Hold muh beer!!!

Weighing the ?possible? benefits against the ?possible? consequences would put my thinking there :!: :whiteflag:

According to the information I have found, the only consequences you'd face is if you own horses and let them range about freely where you cut walnut trees, or you intend on gardening in an area that you've allowed a collection of saw dust collect. Your garden won't grow and your horses could get laminitis.

Rain prevented me from firing up the pit yesterday, total bummer.. Soon though, soon. Lol!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:05 am

Best of Luck to you Sir :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:49 am

After all the reading I've done on walnut over the last, umm, WAY too long.. I see why this wood makes such a fuss. It is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!! I've read stories about acres of walnut trees poached and stolen. Just.. Wow.. I can see how the ball would start rolling somewhere that you shouldn't cook with it so it can be saved for crafts and crafting..

20190607_093329.jpg

There is also the matter of sweet gum trees. Now.. I was told it's no good to BBQ with and I went with it.. The walnut tree decided I should look deeper into the gum tree. Turns out, all the info I found just leads to... Nothing.. There is always somebody saying, "that's not good to cook with". And then leaves no reasoning for it. Nothing about it is toxic to humans and it is, in fact, recommended in many fish dishes. The ONLY derogatory information I found about it is that is, 1 - INCREDIBLY difficult to split, even with hydraulics. 2- once cured, will decay quite rapidly. And 3 - has a rough beginning smoke; make sure it's already rolling. Now I wouldn't want to spend 3 times the effort in harvesting and processing wood that is going to go bad that much faster than say, hickory.. I'd certainly say it isn't worth the effort to use, but I wouldn't honestly say it's "bad" to use..
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:55 pm

That's beautiful. I can see why craftsmen make black walnut into furniture!
Moink!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”