Pre Burn

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Pre Burn

Postby East Texas Q » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Anyone else use this technique?
I usually run a pre burn pit when doing long smokes. I have two pits I built from a propane tank that measure around three foot in diameter.
Have one rigged for hanging large pots and one thats a pure pre burn pit.
I found it to be far better for controlling temps and smoke when you're taking pre burned wood and shoveling it into your pit when needed.
It also prevents the risk of creosote.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Pre Burn

Postby Chasdev » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:54 am

Not too many here in Texas that I've seen but it seems that lots of whole hog and butt cookers in the southeast swear by cooking on coals only.
The creosote problem is due to the way you are venting your cooker, you need to study up on the "pale blue smoke" fire method.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 am

Hmmm :banghead: I thought creosote was caused by wood that wasn't properly dried or aged :dont: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Fooldancing
Rustler

Postby Fooldancing » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 am

I'm with OUP, I thought creosote was from wood that was not fully dried of all sap and other tree juices.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 am

It's my understanding that creosote is formed by a lack of combustion. This can be caused by overly wet wood and/or insufficient airflow (lack of oxygen) to support a flame. The way I see it, everyone's correct. :thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Chasdev wrote:Not too many here in Texas that I've seen but it seems that lots of whole hog and butt cookers in the southeast swear by cooking on coals only.
The creosote problem is due to the way you are venting your cooker, you need to study up on the "pale blue smoke" fire method.

Been doing this for over thirty years so I have a pretty good grasp on how it works.
I'm not saying I never toss in a well seasoned raw log,and I'm not talking just coals but a log that has already ignited and is burning clean.
Plus you can hang out by the fire pit and put a big pot of beans over it.
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:It's my understanding that creosote is formed by a lack of combustion. This can be caused by overly wet wood and/or insufficient airflow (lack of oxygen) to support a flame. The way I see it, everyone's correct. :thap:

Agreed.
I like it because you can keep temp easier. And if you're to the end of your smoke and you dont wrap you avoid overly smoked meat.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm

No such thing as overly smoked meat, just meat smoked with dirty smoke.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm

I’ve done it before several times using a fire pit; no doubt it’s better but it’s a lot of trouble. I’ll get’er going with a charcoal chimney and put good seasoned wood on that I have removed the bark from
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Rambo wrote:I’ve done it before several times using a fire pit; no doubt it’s better but it’s a lot of trouble. I’ll get’er going with a charcoal chimney and put good seasoned wood on that I have removed the bark from

Yep..
I always remove the bark.
I'm not saying pre burning is the end all but it gives you options.
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Chasdev wrote:No such thing as overly smoked meat, just meat smoked with dirty smoke.

We'll have to disagree on that point.
Even Franklin will tell you over smoked meat can be a problem which is one of the reasons he wraps.
I generally dont use the Texas crutch unless time is an issue. I prefer to clean up my fire and let it work through the stall on it's own.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Chasdev wrote:No such thing as overly smoked meat, just meat smoked with dirty smoke.

Sure there is. I judge BBQ on a weekly basis and yes you can over smoke meat.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Sooner21
Pilgrim

Postby Sooner21 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:04 pm

East Texas Q wrote:

We'll have to disagree on that point.
Even Franklin will tell you over smoked meat can be a problem which is one of the reasons he wraps.
I generally dont use the Texas crutch unless time is an issue. I prefer to clean up my fire and let it work through the stall on it's own.

Franklin also says he has to use green wood due to sourcing and volume quite a bit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm

East Texas Q wrote:Anyone else use this technique?
I usually run a pre burn pit when doing long smokes. I have two pits I built from a propane tank that measure around three foot in diameter.
Have one rigged for hanging large pots and one thats a pure pre burn pit.
I found it to be far better for controlling temps and smoke when you're taking pre burned wood and shoveling it into your pit when needed.
It also prevents the risk of creosote.

This is a great old school technique that I have witnessed at several competitions with good results. The flavor is awesome but it does take dedication in tending the fire.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 pm

k.a.m. wrote:

Sure there is. I judge BBQ on a weekly basis and yes you can over smoke meat.

Agreed.
I've done it plenty of times myself in my early years. In fact it's one of the reasons I implemented pre burn techniques.
It gives you complete control over temps and smoke.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”