Beef bone broth for packer injection?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Beef bone broth for packer injection?

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:00 am

I'm going to switch up my brisket cooking (after watching way too many BBQ Pit Masters reruns) and need advice on my game plan.
Going to use a large Hefty pan with a cooling rack in it to keep the meat out of the liquid and more into the smoke and may or may not wrap/cover towards the end.
I would like to inject the drippings from my last cook but since I don't have any left I'm thinking of bone broth.
Last summer I made a delish beef bone broth (24 hours in a crock pot after high temp roast of bones and veg) and am thinking that broth would be the next best thing to drippings? I've tried the "most popular" ready mix version and found the resulting brisket pretty far down on my list of like/not like flavor profiles.
Plan is to put a quart of water in the bottom the pan and cross my fingers it will be gone before the drippings get rolling, or that it will evaporate by the time the cook is done.
Attachments
DSC00246.JPG
DSC00247.JPG
DSC00248.JPG
DSC00249.JPG
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Beef bone broth for packer injection?

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am

Only thing I can suggest is regarding your water and drip pan. Try using something like the chafing pan design.

Basically, keep the water pan and the drippings pan separate from each other so u get drippings Only in the top pan and ur water pan will be below.

I've seen double pans and holders like these that would be perfect.

Just a suggestion

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 am

And as far as broth goes, I've made my own Aujus a few times using Beef Back Bones and it definitely has a great taste.
I'm sure that a good butcher or supermarket will have them.
Good luck, sounds good what you're doing.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:37 am

:happ: do report back on this experiment, watching and following; I like what woodenvision's comment says, it make sense to me to not mix, or water down the drippings, after the cook you could chill the drippings to remove the grease or fat if you choose to...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:45 am

woodenvisions wrote:Only thing I can suggest is regarding your water and drip pan. Try using something like the chafing pan design.

Basically, keep the water pan and the drippings pan separate from each other so u get drippings Only in the top pan and ur water pan will be below.

Just a suggestion

The Hefty pan is 20 X 12 inches and while the wife does have a pan that's large enough to hold the Hefty, ain't no way she would let me ruin it in the smoker.
The other end of the spectrum is finding a small pan or pans to hold water and stil fit in my small cooker leaving room for the Hefty and brisket.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am

Chasdev wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:Only thing I can suggest is regarding your water and drip pan. Try using something like the chafing pan design.

Just a suggestion

The Hefty pan is 20 X 12 inches and while the wife does have a pan that's large enough to hold the Hefty, ain't no way she would let me ruin it in the smoker.
The other end of the spectrum is finding a small pan or pans to hold water and stil fit in my small cooker leaving room for the Hefty and brisket.
Do you have a Florist and Chocalate supplier close by ??? Lol !!

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:23 pm

More like a trauma center and/or life-flight.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Chasdev wrote:More like a trauma center and/or life-flight.
It's not looking too God for you lol...

On a serious note, what if you completely lined her good pan with foil first ? It would be completely protected...

Think you could convince her then ??

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Don't know what your cooking on, so why not put a quart or so of your injection in the pan? If your on a horizonal offset away from the heat source I don't see it boiling dry. Even my vertical offset running 250* +/- with the pan in an upper level won't boil out. Any other smoking rig I no experience with.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 am

I'm cheating, it's a pellet spitter.
It's 19 hours in at 160, internal temp at 145, I just raised the cook temp to 250 to finish.
Time to wrap.
Attachments
DSC00251.JPG
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Wow, 19 hrs ??

I bet that suckers gonna be as Tender as Bobby Brown's Roni !!!....

Some won't get that lol

Can't wait to see the innerts

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:51 pm

looking good so far, waiting on the sliced shots... and your opinion of the taste?
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:41 pm

I went ahead and pulled/wrapped it and dunked it in the ice chest for a few hours, should slice it up around 5 or so.
The internal temp on the flat end was stuck at 178 while the point was 205 and I was wondering if I should keep pushing in the heat until the flat temp came up.
Then I remembered a few brisket cooks ago, on my Kamado, where I had more or less the same thing going on, the time and cook temps indicated it should have been done but I left it on longer trying to get the internal up to the 200 range.
The internal temps never did come up and when I finally gave up and pulled it off it turned out dry dry dry...very overcooked.
So,today I cut off a three inch sample chunk from the tip of the flat and it turned out to be great, tender, full of the bone broth injection flavor.
Funny thing is that it did not probe as tender as it chewed but in any case I'm not going to overcook another if I can help it so it's getting a rest now.
Besides if I'm wrong I can always cook parts of it some more.
Here's a pic of it fresh off the cooker.
The wife was starving so I went ahead and sliced some off, she can't stand pepper so I got rid of a bunch of it, the things we do for love...
Strangest thing is that the flat (that I thought might be under cooked, was fantastic, best flat I ever cooked!) so I need a new metric to deal with super low and slow pellet spitter briskets.
Attachments
DSC00254.JPG
DSC00253.JPG
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Wow that looks like some good eatin right there !!

Nice job on that

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 am

Chasdev wrote:I went ahead and pulled/wrapped it and dunked it in the ice chest for a few hours, should slice it up around 5 or so.
The internal temp on the flat end was stuck at 178 while the point was 205 and I was wondering if I should keep pushing in the heat until the flat temp came up.
Then I remembered a few brisket cooks ago, on my Kamado, where I had more or less the same thing going on, the time and cook temps indicated it should have been done but I left it on longer trying to get the internal up to the 200 range.
The internal temps never did come up and when I finally gave up and pulled it off it turned out dry dry dry...very overcooked.
So,today I cut off a three inch sample chunk from the tip of the flat and it turned out to be great, tender, full of the bone broth injection flavor.
Funny thing is that it did not probe as tender as it chewed but in any case I'm not going to overcook another if I can help it so it's getting a rest now.
Besides if I'm wrong I can always cook parts of it some more.
Here's a pic of it fresh off the cooker.
The wife was starving so I went ahead and sliced some off, she can't stand pepper so I got rid of a bunch of it, the things we do for love....

good on the "love" and the sample, I am hung up on the " did not probe tender" though you said chewed good and was tender "it still should probe tender at some point", were you on the verge of over cooked? and you grabbed it just in the nic of time? from my experience brisket is dry, before it is done, then dry when over cooked. It goes through stages from "raw and tough" to "cooked tough dry", "to cooked tender moist", "to cooked tender dry" to shoe leather so injecting may change these mechanics (I dont inject not judging anyone who does, just me) :dont:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”