Beef bone broth for packer injection?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Beef bone broth for packer injection?

Postby Chasdev » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:26 am

The combo also has me scratching my head (pellet cooker, super low and slow, large water pan AND injected, a lot!).
The point was 205 and probed like soft butter but the flat was more or less 190 so I pulled it so as not to over cook the point end.
I'd been probing with a thermo pen from about 170 every hour and the flat never did get super tender so I made a command decision and yanked it having over cooked one on a Kamado that also probed/tempchecked more or less the same, which is why I decided to go a different route rather than keep cooking on and on.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:44 am

good thing you pulled it when you did, just cant figure why never tender to the poke test, maybe different meat produces different results, I would try same methods exactly with another cook and watch for the same or different results? if the results are the same then notes for all future cooks, the culprit would be the injection? :dont: :scratch:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Oddly enough, I'm doing exactly that right now!
Same size choice packer, trimmed the same, cooking fat side down.
Been on six hours now, internal in thick flat is 109.
I'm going to leave it at 160 till 10:00 tonight and raise to 225 for the rest of the way.
One thing I did wrong on the last one was not enough rest time, this this one should get 4 hours in the ice chest.
Attachments
DSC00256.JPG
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Okay, number two is off and resting in the cooler after 27 hours.
I think cooking over a large pan full of water may cause the internal temps to rise slower than normal when cooking super low and slow.
At 10:00 PM last night (14 hours in with internal temp at 140) I moved it into a 175 degree oven with a foil covering (but not wrapped) and went to bed.
(The wife does not like me running a cooker on the enclosed/attached screen porch overnight).
This morning at 6:00 AM the internal temp was 171 so back in the pellet burner at 250 over the water pan, with foil over the top.
30 minutes later internal temp went back down to 141 (cold water?) and did not rise until the water evaporated, then rose to 195 in around two hours and probed like butter.
I snipped an inch off the point and one off the flat and they both are way better than brisket number one.
Lesson is, brisket one was under cooked.
Still better than some of my early efforts and for sure not chili worthy.
After number two gets it's rest I'll post up the sliced pics.
Attachments
DSC00258.JPG
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm

just trying to "cypher" this process, the boiling point of water is 212 at sea lever we are about 700 so drop a couple degrees for boiling.
boiling point on fat, lard, oil IDY :dont:
I always cook at 250, tried 240, 225, 210, times were much longer till done with internal temp, and poke test, results are documented in my cooking logs, they were disastrous, provided hard over cooked dry meat, or tough undercooked meat. the water pan introduction, I have see some of the big stick burners use that. I tried it once and it steamed the inside of my cooker and produced meat that leached out water when it was cut.

Just an FYI did a few high temp cooks at 350, did not like that either, they were just ok as to what I prefer my brisket to taste like..

you might comment on what you are trying to achieve? your desired taste & flavor profile?
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Same as everybody else I presume..most tender and best tasting brisket I can cook.
As to boiling water (or not?) water turns to vapor way below the boil point, hence the vapors rising from hot soup, coffee, etc..
The idea is of course to keep the exterior moist which helps form bark and my guess is to also prevent the interior from drying out, a little or a lot.
Are you sure you saw water coming out of the meat rather than melted collagen or meat juices?
In any case the verdict on brisket 2 is that the flat and point slices have great tenderness, flop, stretch/pull and taste good too.
Attachments
DSC00261.JPG
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Chasdev wrote:Are you sure you saw water coming out of the meat rather than melted collagen or meat juices?

absolutely positive, tasted and felt of it, was horrible, will never make that mistake again... :angryfire:
brisket from everything I have read, and heard is toughter to get "right" than shoulder clod or any other cut of beef, undercooked or overcooked and it is dry acording to the late Rick Schmidt of Kreuz market, we had several conversations in times past regarding cooking, he never gave up anything, but did give me a few pointers, such as the dryness thing.
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 am

Crazy how water pans "work" in big stick burners but not in smaller ones or pellet spitters?
Myron sure loves his, he has a hose hookup and a toilet tank type float shut-off valve to keep it full.
I saw an episode of BBQ Pitmasters where his hose did not deliver enough water to the smoker and it was a potential disaster, causing great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Back to that "water" coming out of the meat, that one has me scratching my head for sure.
Did the water in your water pan taste bad before you cooked with it?
Was the pan rusty or had it held chemicals or dog food or something before you used it in your cooker?
I ate BBQ at Krueze every month or so from 1970 to around the late 80's and I agree,the brisket was not their best product.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:51 am

the cooker was an electric old hickory, (air tight as so to speak, not even the smoke gets out much) that had the pan in it, so me being me always try different things, "a learnin"
their instructions left a lot to be desired, the pan was porcelin coated, since I have used several brinkmans, with the water pan, figured it would work well in this one... Wrong..
the water was clean & fresh no additives of any kind, that brisket was not even good dog food, all the seasoning was watered down, the insides of the cooker were sweating and the brisket should have been considered boiled... no good one of my worst epic failures...
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Sounds like you tried to cook brisket in a clam steamer.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 pm

it more or less behaved like one.
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”