Can't take it anymore!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:00 am

Hey OGB! Hope the cook is still going well... Hoping the cold rain that we are getting over this way is missing you!

James.
oldgreenbean
Wrangler

Postby oldgreenbean » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:41 am

I lost 50 degrees a minute ago,but we are ok again.It has not been raining at my house in Benbrook.It is wet outside,but I am still going.I have my smoker at the rear of my garage.It is one of those pull through garages.I have the front door cracked to keep the air moving outside.It is about 3:40am!
Treat people online like they were in your living room talking to you & your Granny.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:10 am

OGB... Was wonderin if you were still awake or if I was gonna have to swing by and stoke the fire when I get off work.

If you are wanting to do a comp cook, check this one out. I went last year and it looked like alot of fun. One of our members here (smoked) competed last year.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

oldgreenbean
Wrangler

Postby oldgreenbean » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:44 am

I just put some beef ribs on! It is almost time for coffee.Pics on the way.
Treat people online like they were in your living room talking to you & your Granny.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:56 am

Ooooops... Here is the link to the comp that I was talking about...

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3268
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:34 am

Looking pretty good there :D You stick burner types don't get much sleep, do you? :roll: :wink: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
oldgreenbean
Wrangler

Postby oldgreenbean » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:16 am

I had to let my girl take control for an hour.I had to take a break!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:51 am

lookin good OGB. nice lookin pit guard you got there :D
oldgreenbean
Wrangler

Postby oldgreenbean » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:29 am

Hey SteerCrazy,He knows there is a few rib bones for him on that grill.It's funny,but he really knows.When it's cold like this,he will stay inside.When I smoke,he follows me outside everytime,like he wants to check on it too.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:07 pm

oldgreenbean wrote:Hey SteerCrazy,He knows there is a few rib bones for him on that grill.It's funny,but he really knows.When it's cold like this,he will stay inside.When I smoke,he follows me outside everytime,like he wants to check on it too.

Our late Collie-dog would guard Einstein too :lol: Ok, ya got to me. It's off to the store to get a brisket and will use HM as a rub. Gonna have some friends come over so y'all can get an un-biased review :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Hey OGB thats looking good even though a bit labor intensive. Best strategy I have found on keeping air going to the fire is crack the firebox door open an inch or two. That usually give plenty of air no matter which way the wind is blowing. Now if theres a nice stiff breeze blowing direct toward the intakes I can cook with it fully closed. Got an old pal who had a fairly tall exhaust stack with a swiveling 90 degree flue pipe elbow on top. He just point the elbow opposite from the way the wind was blowing and it draw fine from any direction. Always thought that was a great idear. Had to be little careful cuz birds like to build nests in it.

bigwheel

oldgreenbean wrote:It's 1am & we are rocking right along.I have keep it at 210 to 225.I have the fire box facing right into the wind.Do guys at competions set their smokers into the wind? What happens when the wind changes?
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:50 pm

bigwheel wrote:Hey OGB thats looking good even though a bit labor intensive. Best strategy I have found on keeping air going to the fire is crack the firebox door open an inch or two. That usually give plenty of air no matter which way the wind is blowing.....

bigwheel

oldgreenbean wrote:It's 1am & we are rocking right along.I have keep it at 210 to 225.I have the fire box facing right into the wind.Do guys at competions set their smokers into the wind? What happens when the wind changes?

hmmmm, hey BW, does that influence the cookin time and wood consumtion too?

dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:35 pm

Well, OGB... How'd it turn out?

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Well sure it would influence a lot of things to some degree. Main influence I'm looking for in a log burner is to keep a clean burning fire and cracking the firebox door helps a bunch in that regard...depending on how good are your intakes and positioning of the fire grate of course. Prob wouldnt need to do it on a Klose for example but cant hardly get away from the practice on a pit with marginal intakes...improperly constructed or placed fire grate etc.

bigwheel
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:15 pm

JamesB wrote:Well, OGB... How'd it turn out?

Guess he's takin' a little nap after lunch. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”