Temperature fluctuations

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cayal
Pilgrim

Temperature fluctuations

Postby cayal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi all,

New here and have been cooking for almost 2 years now. I have a offset smoker and I Was wondering how normal temperature fluctuations are and what range would be considered normal?

I usually try to cook at 250-275 range and if I aim for 275 I usually get somewhere between 250 - 300 at times. Is that fairly normal?

Thanks,
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Temperature fluctuations

Postby Chasdev » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 am

Welcome aboard!
If you can hold temps in that range while aiming for 275 then you are doing as good, or better, than most.
A few degrees don't matter much at all, what matters is leave the lid shut and don't let it get way too hot or way too cool.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:56 am

Welcome to the madness :taz:
I agree with Chasdev, sounds like your where you need to be. However IMO it also depends on how seasoned your smoker is. As well as how big an offset you have. But as stated a few degrees in between won’t hurt ya.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum... post often and we like pictures. :D
Relating to your temperature swings your pit design comes in to play, along with your fuel and procedures you use for fire management.
additionally as the others stated a few degrees plus or minus wont make or break a cook. The last offset I cooked on held 25 briskets and I was able to maintain plus or minus 50 degrees continually, I normally would try to cook at 250 and when adding wood the temp would spike for a 1/2 hour of so, I would choke the intake air till the temp came down then reopen it once the temp came down where I wanted it. this pit had intake and exhaust control valves, I left the exhaust open all the time. Not saying what is right or wrong just what worked on this pit. The crowd enjoyed the food, this was a benefit. I had an agreement with my boss that if anyone asked He was the cook, he had several offers for other events. :laughing7: :laughing7:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:38 pm

how does your food turn out? temp fluctuations haven't really affected my bbq except for brisket. i am able to cook with my temps pretty steady within 10-15 degrees. since then I've noticed my brisket tasting better than Aaron Franklin but seriously, it's been a world of difference, but not so much in ribs, pulled pork, been ribs, etc.

i manage temps by wood, i don't mess with intakes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:56 am

After buying a Frankin prepaired brisket, I pretty sure anybody who buys a $100 prime brisket and cooks it at 275 with salt and pepper, can produce an equal or better product.
Maybe I had some very bad luck but the one I got was flavorless roast beef with a thin dark bark, and with very little wood smoke flavor.
I'm not harshing on the man and I'm sure he did not get with in a mile of the meat I bought what with all the celebrity gigs he's into these days.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am

Chasdev wrote:After buying a Frankin prepaired brisket, I pretty sure anybody who buys a $100 prime brisket and cooks it at 275 with salt and pepper, can produce an equal or better product.
Maybe I had some very bad luck but the one I got was flavorless roast beef with a thin dark bark, and with very little wood smoke flavor.
I'm not harshing on the man and I'm sure he did not get with in a mile of the meat I bought what with all the celebrity gigs he's into these days.

so the brisket you bought was not a good one,, I guess its a short distance from hero to zero.... :scratch:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:09 pm

More like quality control is a female dog when your employees smoke hundreds of briskets a week and all will sell no matter how good they are.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:26 pm

cayal wrote:Hi all,

New here and have been cooking for almost 2 years now. I have a offset smoker and I Was wondering how normal temperature fluctuations are and what range would be considered normal?

I usually try to cook at 250-275 range and if I aim for 275 I usually get somewhere between 250 - 300 at times. Is that fairly normal?

Thanks,

Those are good numbers and it sounds like your fire management is spot on.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Chasdev wrote:After buying a Frankin prepaired brisket, I pretty sure anybody who buys a $100 prime brisket and cooks it at 275 with salt and pepper, can produce an equal or better product.

You are absolutely correct.
Buy a prime 12 to 15 lbs. minimal trim season with 50/50 coarse black pepper and kosher salt wrap smoke with Oak (post, red, or white) and finish in peach paper let rest for a few hours and you have Franklin's brisket for half the price.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
brisket nerd USER_AVATAR
Brisket Nerd
Pilgrim

Postby Brisket Nerd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi cayal,

new member myself but have been smoking for years. Those temp swings are normal. The most experienced you become, the smaller your temp ranges will become.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”