Frankenswine

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Frankenswine

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am

GTR wrote:I'm with Txdragon. Selective breeding can produce crazy results. This is really true in hogs. Reaching sexual maturity at 6 months and with a gestation period of about the same duration a single sow can throw 3-4 litters a year. Finding a line of females that nick well with a line of boars is only a couple generations away. Just consider the hog industry is nothing like it was 40 years ago. American hog, beef and chicken ranchers have been using selective breeding practices for decades. By such they have breed slaughter animals that are taller, longer, more muscular and certainly less fat laden. Frankenswine is just an extreme example of what these breeding practices can produce.
Just because it's possible to get such results by selective breeding it doesn't necessary mean it's good or natural. It may be natural by selective breeding but when the result is an animal that can hardly walk or otherwise has a lousy life it's not right. I as a consumer should use my power and avoid buying animals that are poorly breed. In the same way that happened with eggs from chickens. People stopped buying eggs from chickens in cages a few years ago. Now you only find eggs from free range chickens in the market. The same with chicken that grew too fast due to the use of a kind of antibiotics called naracin. People stopped buying it. Now it's out of use and a new chicken breed that grows slower (less skeleton problems) and is more robust is used.

Selective breeding is all fine but must stop before it gives the animal poor health.
I am a strong advocate for giving animals a healthy and a life without suffering the time they have until slaughtered.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Joernolav wrote:
GTR wrote:I'm with Txdragon. Selective breeding can produce crazy results. This is really true in hogs. Reaching sexual maturity at 6 months and with a gestation period of about the same duration a single sow can throw 3-4 litters a year. Finding a line of females that nick well with a line of boars is only a couple generations away. Just consider the hog industry is nothing like it was 40 years ago. American hog, beef and chicken ranchers have been using selective breeding practices for decades. By such they have breed slaughter animals that are taller, longer, more muscular and certainly less fat laden. Frankenswine is just an extreme example of what these breeding practices can produce.
Just because it's possible to get such results by selective breeding it doesn't necessary mean it's good or natural. It may be natural by selective breeding but when the result is an animal that can hardly walk or otherwise has a lousy life it's not right. I as a consumer should use my power and avoid buying animals that are poorly breed. In the same way that happened with eggs from chickens. People stopped buying eggs from chickens in cages a few years ago. Now you only find eggs from free range chickens in the market. The same with chicken that grew too fast due to the use of a kind of antibiotics called naracin. People stopped buying it. Now it's out of use and a new chicken breed that grows slower (less skeleton problems) and is more robust is used.

Selective breeding is all fine but must stop before it gives the animal poor health.
I am a strong advocate for giving animals a healthy and a life without suffering the time they have until slaughtered.

I get where you're coming from. Yet this breed has a dominate gene that is a natural mutation that causes them to double muscle. Any breed of cow could calve a double mussel calf. Aside from birthing and low semen production the double muscling has little to no affect on quality of life.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:09 pm

When normal birthing is by C-section and they struggle to move it's gone too far and nothing you should breed imo.

I am happy the breed is forbidden here and nothing I would support by buying it's meat.

Instagram: Norway_joe1
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Calling Dr. Moreau....
Moink!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 am

I appreciate where this is going, being against the un natural use of hormones, however once the meat is in the store sliced up, once the eggs are in the carton, once the sausage is in the package, you can see where I am going... How do we police the market? I read quite a few articles about improper things in the human food chain, several of which comes from a USDA food inspector relative of ours. One of my favorites is the big touted "antibiotic free" ,"hormone free" packaging in the stores that people pay extra for, according to him, and he works at a slaughter house, an animal can not be slaughtered for human consumption that has any hormones or antibiotic activity in its history for the last 60 days of its life, but as we all know there are ways to circumvent the law. I am not trying to stir anyone up, just trying to figure out how to navigate this tangled life we live in.... :idea:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Good Points, All, Sir - - - - :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”