TermoPro TP20 or FB Extreme BBQ Edition?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

TermoPro TP20 or FB Extreme BBQ Edition?

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:39 am

I know, the FB is way better!

I bought the TP-20 and used it for last 3 smokes, It sucks in my opinion but I'm sure it has it's place! I have never owned or used a remote thermometer until now! I have just used the Thermapen!

I don't like the TP-20, having to push the light button when I want to read at night, annoying beeps, having to reset the temps and types of meat after accidentally turning it off and lastly the temp readings fluctuating seem off from my Tel-Tru Smoker thermometer!

Any way whats the difference in the two that would justify the $200 plus upgrade to the FB Extreme!

thank for any info!
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: TermoPro TP20 or FB Extreme BBQ Edition?

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just thinking about investing in a new set up.
I’ve heard good reviews about Ink~Bird
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Postby Slippy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 am

I just got an Inkbird, upgraded from an old Maverick. I used it for the first time for a superbowl cook this last weekend. So far I like it. The IBT-4XS has four probes, which I only used 3 at most (1 for grate temp, two for meat later in the cook). The remote is through your phone, instead of a handheld device, which I liked. That Maverick had the worst user interface. The phone was easy to use to change alerts and check on temps. The base has a nice bright readout, and is magnetic, so I ended up placing it on the smokestack, up high, so I could see it from in the house. So far so good. The price is great too ($43) on Amazon.
Attachments
IMG_0026.jpg
Rockwall TX | BigHat Ranger Offset, Large Big Green Egg, Really old Weber Kettle, big pile of pecan and post oak....
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:45 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Thanks for starting this thread. I was just thinking about investing in a new set up.
I’ve heard good reviews about Ink~Bird

You bet! :salut:
pablof
Pilgrim

Postby pablof » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:32 pm

I've been extremely happy with the FireBoard.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

OK open can of worms.. I'm all in...
I have the maverick, used it several times to get the feel of the cook, when I am cooking something new or different than what I have records for, I will fall back to it.
for the spot check I use the almost as good (as a thermopro) lava tool $27 almost instant read (takes 4 seconds for an accurate measurement)
lastly my FEC-100 has a thermoprobe that couples to the cooking electronics, so the probe will adjust the cook temp depending on how it is setup to cook.

Byond that I just set it per the cook records I keep(excel or word) and let er rip... I suppose I am too $$ concious and just enough old school to not change until something nudges me off the comfortable spot I seem to be resting on as cooking BBQ goes..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:51 pm

spacetrucker wrote:OK open can of worms.. I'm all in...
I have the maverick, used it several times to get the feel of the cook, when I am cooking something new or different than what I have records for, I will fall back to it.
for the spot check I use the almost as good (as a thermopro) lava tool $27 almost instant read (takes 4 seconds for an accurate measurement)
lastly my FEC-100 has a thermoprobe that couples to the cooking electronics, so the probe will adjust the cook temp depending on how it is setup to cook.

Byond that I just set it per the cook records I keep(excel or word) and let er rip... I suppose I am too $$ concious and just enough old school to not change until something nudges me off the comfortable spot I seem to be resting on as cooking BBQ goes..

Exactly and thats why I'm wanting the change to something more simplified!
maxprophet
Pilgrim

Postby maxprophet » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:06 pm

I can't get Bluetooth range to work effectively based on the layout of my home so I have a hard time getting behind Bluetooth-only devices. I've had a Maverick for years but my next one will be a FireBoard as the ability to expand it with the blower for use with my Kamado-style cooker is super rad. If it weren't for that I'd go ThermoWorks Signals all day.

-MP
pablof
Pilgrim

Postby pablof » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Fireboard uses either bluetooth, wifi, or cloud. I finally set it up to the cloud and it works like a champ. Constant contact with the unit. No matter where i am!

Check it out.... http://www.fireboard.com

:D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”