Picanha

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Picanha

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 pm

I found some top sirloin cap or Picanha at our local cash saver grocery store. The butcher told me they go for less than 4 dollars a pound. Have any of Yall cooked any before? Im going to get 2 and take them to my dads house this weekend. I will be sure to post pics when I do them. Wish me good luck!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Picanha

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Yessir, very good cut. I like them hot n fast over mesquite seasoned with only salt and a little pepper.
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Don't have a clue but will love to see it
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 am

Super idea. Take care that the cut has enough fat. And use a Rotisserie. Then it will be delicious

DSC07347-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07360-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07380-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07393-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07402-11. Februar 2017.jpg
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 am

New one for me but I'm anxious to learn more :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 am

daBertl wrote:Super idea. Take care that the cut has enough fat. And use a Rotisserie. Then it will be delicious

DSC07347-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07360-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07380-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07393-11. Februar 2017.jpg
DSC07402-11. Februar 2017.jpg

For my first time I am going to cut steaks out of them. I do not have a rotisseries to use. If I can find some metal skewers I will try that next time I do them. What I do t understand is why they are so cheap.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 am

JustinCouch wrote:

For my first time I am going to cut steaks out of them. I do not have a rotisseries to use. If I can find some metal skewers I will try that next time I do them. What I do t understand is why they are so cheap.

The picanha is to Brazil as the tenderloin is to us. This cut has not quite made its foothold in our country. They serve the picanha in every Brazilian steakhouse I've been to, which I highly suggest giving a visit to if you are within reasonable distance from. However, most American butchers label the top sirloin cap as a chateaubriand and call it a day. This, to me, is wrong and should be corrected. At any rate, it is similar in pricing effect as the brisket, skirt steaks, etc.. All about popularity. I once was able to get skirt for 1.75 a lb from a butcher shop in North Carolina and the owner had never eaten them and wanted nothing to do with them. He said I was the only white fella to ever ask for them, ALL that would buy them were Hispanic he said... Until I made some fajita tacos for him and his wife. He then raised the price on them by 1.00 per lb. Lol. In San Antonio, at that time, skirt was selling RAPIDLY when the price was at 5 to 6 dollars per lb.
Anywho.. The picanha is an awesome bit, grab hold while you can and enjoy it. Once it gains traction here, they're gonna price it through the roof. :(
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:27 am

Txdragon wrote:
JustinCouch wrote:

The picanha is to Brazil as the tenderloin is to us. This cut has not quite made its foothold in our country. They serve the picanha in every Brazilian steakhouse I've been to, which I highly suggest giving a visit to if you are within reasonable distance from. However, most American butchers label the top sirloin cap as a chateaubriand and call it a day. This, to me, is wrong and should be corrected. At any rate, it is similar in pricing effect as the brisket, skirt steaks, etc.. All about popularity. I once was able to get skirt for 1.75 a lb from a butcher shop in North Carolina and the owner had never eaten them and wanted nothing to do with them. He said I was the only white fella to ever ask for them, ALL that would buy them were Hispanic he said... Until I made some fajita tacos for him and his wife. He then raised the price on them by 1.00 per lb. Lol. In San Antonio, at that time, skirt was selling RAPIDLY when the price was at 5 to 6 dollars per lb.
Anywho.. The picanha is an awesome bit, grab hold while you can and enjoy it. Once it gains traction here, they're gonna price it through the roof. :(

Its sad. Chicken wings used to be dirt cheap now look at them. When I first started bbqing you could get Boston butt for like .79 to.89 cents a pound.
pablof
Pilgrim

Postby pablof » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:04 pm

I've grilled several. I don't cut them down to skewer. I grill them whole.

On the weber kettle, use direct and indirect zones. I cross hatch the fat cap and season with salt only.

Place over direct heat and sear a minute or two on each side. Fat renders and makes a killer flame up. Don't
worry, this is what you want.

I then move to the indirect side fat cap up and insert my temp probe. Cook with the cover on until it reaches 135 to 140
to get med rare. Pull and rest for a few minutes tented with foil. Slice across the grain. darn near best tasting
meat you'll eat!

pichana.JPG
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:08 pm

^^ Exaclty how I do them. :cheers:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Just picked them up from the butcher. They are wrapped up so no pictures yet. Im thinking about doing steaks. I saw a video where they cross hatched the fast cap and seared them whole then cut them into steaks. I don't know yet. I wish I had a Brazilian friend to come with me to help me cook them!!!
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm

I would not do steaks. This is not a Steak cut.
Then make it in whole and cut small slices.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:06 pm

daBertl wrote:I would not do steaks. This is not a Steak cut.
Then make it in whole and cut small slices.

I watched a Brazilian guy called gugas video. He was saying if I cut steaks out of them cut them with the grain into 1.5 inch steaks the would turn out good. He said i had a higher chance of messing up if I do skewers. Also I don't have skewers so that's out. I got 2 so I might cook 1 whole.
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Try it and tell me which one was better :chef:
techieq USER_AVATAR
TechieQ
Wrangler

Postby TechieQ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:53 pm

I love those at Brazilian places. Can't wait to hear how it turns out! I need to start checking if any picanha shows up in my grocery store.
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”