Spare Ribs a la Aldi

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Spare Ribs a la Aldi

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm still on a learning curve with my new Kamander kamado-style rig. We were at Aldi a couple of days ago and picked up a rack of St Louis Spares. Last night we dusted with SB Hog Waller and this morning, bright and early, I fired up the smoker.

For the first 3 hours of the smoke, all went well. I was able to maintain close to 250 degrees with minimal tweaks of the vents. But then the temp kept dropping and more air wasn't helping. The ribs looked like they needed about another hour, so I popped them out, threw more lump on the fire rack along with a fresh starter and restarted the coals. A half hour later the ribs are back on the grill (with a glaze of SB Chipotle Sauce) and the temp is stable again.

Finally they're done after about 4 hrs cooking time:

They were pretty good, even though they had an odd consistency and were fairly salty. Then we realized that these were brined ribs! That's one way Aldi keeps the price low: add salt water to the meat. It did make for very juicy ribs and it would be really difficult to overcook them. Still, the next time I'll skip the brined ribs and go with the usual ones. Of course, we still ate several of them anyway and froze half of the rack for Christmas.

That will teach me not to read the fine print on the package while still in the store.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Spare Ribs a la Aldi

Postby Txdragon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm

They look great! I hadn't ever noticed if any ribs I've bought have been treated with any "solution" like chickens and other items. Interesting.
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:45 pm

The oversalty taste was evident right away. I still managed to hurt myself on them. :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:25 pm

They look great, Y'all, and that Chipotle Sauce ROCKS don't it ? :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm

lookin' tasty Image
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Yes. OUP, the Chipotle Sauce always gives a nice finish to ribs.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”