Turkey Breast

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Turkey Breast

Postby GRailsback » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Hey all you turkey breast cookers. Is there a certain temp to hour per pound foumula? And what internal temp do ya'll cook them to? Had my buddy that works for Ben E Kieth pick me up a couple of them. They are pretty big, around 10 pounds.

Any help would be appreciated. Not going to cook them this week, but it will be soon.
t-monks USER_AVATAR
T-monks
Pilgrim

Re: Turkey Breast

Postby T-monks » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm

If I remember correctly the basic rule for turkey is 20 minutes per pound. Hope that helps!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 pm

At what temp?
t-monks USER_AVATAR
T-monks
Pilgrim

Postby T-monks » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Oops - at 350.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 pm

That would be in the oven, not likely on a smoker.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 am

GRailsback wrote:That would be in the oven, not likely on a smoker.

350 degrees is 350 degrees whether it be in an oven, car, ship, shoebox, refrigerator, OR smoker!! It's all the same thing; what matters is keeping the temp consistent, and that method can vary from cooker to cooker.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:46 am

G-Rail Pal, I'll bet this Post from Capt'n Jack would serve you well with some occasional temp monitoring :tup: :salut:

viewtopic.php?p=279086#p279086
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Txdragon wrote:

350 degrees is 350 degrees whether it be in an oven, car, ship, shoebox, refrigerator, OR smoker!! It's all the same thing; what matters is keeping the temp consistent, and that method can vary from cooker to cooker.

My smoker doesn't run at 350 degree's, ever. No matter if you are cooking a car, a ship, a shoebox, or an ice box.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:G-Rail Pal, I'll bet this Post from Capt'n Jack would serve you well with some occasional temp monitoring :tup: :salut:

viewtopic.php?p=279086#p279086

Parts, thanks for the link. These breast my buddy brought me are kind of big, but boneless with skin on. So I found an old post from The Counselor last night on one of his cooks. The pictures are picture perfect. Of the turkey breast, as well as the chicken he did at the same time.

I also ran across the post from Wild Bill talking about his Sister in Law. Funny post, Boots is in rare form on that post as well.

Here is the link to Matt's cook.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29843&hilit=Turkey+Breast
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:25 pm

I remember that post from Counselor and am glad you found it :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:32 pm

If I can get even remotely close to his results I think I will be happy for a first run on a turkey breast. I ordered some brine that he reccommended to me last night. As well as a sucklebuster order.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:11 am

GRailsback wrote:
Txdragon wrote:

My smoker doesn't run at 350 degree's, ever. No matter if you are cooking a car, a ship, a shoebox, or an ice box.

That's the difficult part. What I meant on this was that 350 is the set temp range no matter what you're cooking in. If you do the math based on temp and time, adjust from here. So let's say you can only hit 300. Divide 300 by the temp recommended to find the difference , in my example it is .857 , or we'll just say .86 Now divide 60 by THAT number to obtain your new time.. 69.76, we'll just say 70. That's the time you'll add to the overall cook time. So if the bird requires 4 hours at 350, it will now call for 5 hours 10 minutes at 300. ;)
(Insert witty signature here)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:44 am

This year I cooked skinless breasts, legs and thighs at 260 for an internal of 150 degrees(about 2 hours), then double wrapped each breast with 3/4 stick of unsalted butter and a generous squirt of honey and back in the smoker at 275 until the magic number of 165 internal(about an hour and a half) was achieved. The picture was for our church group, the reports were people that did not like turkey liked and ate these results, now for the family the same is underway. The crack of dawn, the cool of the morning, a warm cup of coffee, the smell of smoke.... heaven on earth.... Happy Thanksgiving to all
Attachments
small group thanksgiving 2018 (2).JPG
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”