Built-in Pellet Grill/Smoker vs Basic Grill and Electric-Smoker

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

georgejung27
Pilgrim

Built-in Pellet Grill/Smoker vs Basic Grill and Electric-Smoker

Postby georgejung27 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi all,
I’m looking to get into smoking and I currently have a built-in outdoor bbq that I’m looking to convert. I have a basic 4-burner built-in gas grill and then space for a mini-fridge. I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on possible configurations.

Option 1: Convert the 4-burner grill into a built-in smoker. I’ll would need to widen the built-in grill space for the new pellet grill. I’ll keep mini-fridge as is. All I know of is the Louisiana built-in. Are there others that would work for this space? Are these types of grills good for both smoking and basic grilling? Or will I somewhat sacrifice on one or the other? https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Grills ... B074TYJ55T

Option 2: Replace old grill with new, like-for-like or similar (other suggestions with given space?), and utilize the mini-fridge space for an electric smoker like a Masterbuilt. I would widen the space in the mini-fridge a bit to allow for smoke to escape and to allow access to the side of the unit. https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2007 ... B00LK2SAYA

Option 3: Other?

I’m limited on space in the backyard, even for a separate stand-alone smoker - live in California with small backyard :-) - so I’m trying to work with what I got on the built-in. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Built-in Pellet Grill/Smoker vs Basic Grill and Electric-Smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum - - - building Pits is outa my League so I'll defer to the other Members who should have some useful suggestions for you. :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:53 pm

greetings and welcome to the forum, the possibilities are endless depending on what you are trying to achieve.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:07 pm

You need to decide if you want a "set it and forget it" rig like a pellet burner or a lump charcoal burning Kamado (which is also more or less set and forget), or if you want to go more hard core and smoke with wood.
Wood smoke produces better tasting meat (best in fact) but takes WAY more work, first in procuring and storing decent wood and also in terms of tending the fire all day.
You can get an upright wood burner if space is the main concern, but Kamado and pellet burners are pretty compact as well.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:21 pm

I would recommend that you go with the pellet smoker and the Louisiana is an excellent choice.
I am biased toward pellet cookers but then I have had many types so I do have a good basis for comparison.
I generally do not recommend a pellet cooker for grilling however I have had smoked, grilled and pizza off of the Louisiana all excellent.
The only electric smoker I've had (the so called 20 pounder) I really did not like and put it on a garage sale.

So my suggestion keep the fridge check out the Louisiana cooker.
tarde venientibus ossa....
georgejung27
Pilgrim

Postby georgejung27 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Papa Tom wrote: I generally do not recommend a pellet cooker for grilling however I have had smoked, grilled and pizza off of the Louisiana all excellent.

Thanks all for the feedback! Papa Tom - This is my main concern with the Louisiana pellet grill. Of course the sales guy at BBQ's Galore said it's great for grilling also, but you're saying otherwise. I imagine I'll still be grilling more than smoking (we cook a lot of steaks, burgers, chicken, pork chops after we get home from work), but I'm not sure how the Louisiana will perform for just straight grilling. May I ask why you wouldn't recommend the pellet type for grilling?

Thanks again.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am

Grilling is best done over hot coals and pellet burners are convection "smokers" and can't properly replicate the function.
I have a Kamado which can be used for direct grilling but is wasteful when it comes to grilling small cooks like a few burgers or a steak or two.
My go to for grilling is the smallest Webber, the Smokey Joe, the cook grate is only two or three inches from the hot coals and it cooks HOT!
It also produces excellent chicken halves with the lid on and by flipping the bird every 15 minutes three times.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 am

What Chasdev says however the Louisiana pit is better than most so I suggest you check it out it does have the capability of cooking much hotter than most others.
Frankly I don't care for most gassers either I own a good one that hasn't been fired in a year.
02ebz06 has a setup much like you contemplate (his is elaborate with even a wood fired pizza oven) if you contact him he would be a great resource.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”