Tennessee Beats Texas! :P

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Tennessee Beats Texas! :P

Postby rms827 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 am

Bet that headline got a rise or two, LOL.

Seriously, this is a bit of a continuation of my comments from the post about the WSJ article, and how the Food Network and similar northern media outlets have an anti-Texas bias.

So after making all four initial round competitors look BAD in Food Network's 'Chopped Grill Masters', they had the finals this week. Texas vs Kansas City vs Carolina vs Memphis. As I predicted here at home, Texas was eliminated first. I still say there's no way a real Texan has a yankee accent and wears a man bun... The guy overcooked his pork to the point of shoe leather though, so out in the first round. Carolina went next; can't have a Southern accent in the finals after all. Memphis beat out Kansas City though and won the final round. Soooo, if you believe a totally staged, scripted show with a clear bias against Southern values, Texas has the worst BBQ. :tdown:

They can't even get the styles right on the show... The Memphis guy talked about how they were known for their sauces, which he described alot like Kansas City sauce. No mention of their dry rubs.

Personally, of the 4 regional styles, Carolina is the only one I half dislike. They do awesome pulled pork, but then they ruin it by dumping vinegar all over it.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Tennessee Beats Texas! :P

Postby GTR » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 am

rms, all this time I thought it was just me. My wife claims I'm just overly sensitive. However I'm with you whole heartedly about a Texas bias. It's not only from northern media but there seems to be a national bias as well. Look at Yahoo articles concerning anything out of Texas. The comment section is full of negative and honestly down right ugly statements. It may have to do with attitudes like mine, if you ain't from Texas......well sorry. Seriously I am bred, born and raised right here in the Lone Star State. I live 25 miles from where I hit the ground and that's as far as it's ever been. I will defend anything and everything Texas till the good Lord calls me. (ok chest thumbing over.)

The Memphis-K.C. sauce debate I've actually heard before, made next to no since at all to me. Folks speak of the 4 regions of BBQ then try to find similarities between them. At the end of the day there is no way to compare them on a level field. Pork ribs, whole hog and beef (anything beef!) all have their place and in the right hands all are excellent eats.

Thankfully this sight has the best conversations without all the bs that goes on on so many other sights. So a big thanks to Gator, the Deputies and the members that keep this sight a pleasure to visit. :D
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 am

rms827 wrote:Bet that headline got a rise or two, LOL.

Seriously, this is a bit of a continuation of my comments from the post about the WSJ article, and how the Food Network and similar northern media outlets have an anti-Texas bias.

So after making all four initial round competitors look BAD in Food Network's 'Chopped Grill Masters', they had the finals this week. Texas vs Kansas City vs Carolina vs Memphis. As I predicted here at home, Texas was eliminated first. I still say there's no way a real Texan has a yankee accent and wears a man bun... The guy overcooked his pork to the point of shoe leather though, so out in the first round. Carolina went next; can't have a Southern accent in the finals after all. Memphis beat out Kansas City though and won the final round. Soooo, if you believe a totally staged, scripted show with a clear bias against Southern values, Texas has the worst BBQ. :tdown:

They can't even get the styles right on the show... The Memphis guy talked about how they were known for their sauces, which he described alot like Kansas City sauce. No mention of their dry rubs.

Personally, of the 4 regional styles, Carolina is the only one I half dislike. They do awesome pulled pork, but then they ruin it by dumping vinegar all over it.

Was ManBun a Manhattan transplant? ;)

I used to watch all sorts of BBQ and grilling shows. Not so much, any more.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 am

$0.02 - - this is NOT State against State - - - it's Team W,X, Y and Z competing against "each other" and the Outcome is only a competition between 4 Teams and not 4 States, however, in the interest of "INTEREST", THEY promoted it "incorrectly" - - - I've seen more Realism and Facts in a Political Race . :roll: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm

I watched the episode where the Texans competed against themselves to sort out a winner and I must say they all looked pretty lame.
During the first basket test NONE of them knew you can not cook a beef plate rib in 30 minutes.
Only way would have been to slice some very thin strips off the slab, marinate for a few minutes and then onto the grille.
All of them failed big time at that most basic simple meat test.'
So-called pit bosses who did not know it takes 6/8 hours to cook plate rib?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Well boys... there's always Secession. At least if it was over Barbecue it would be for a good reason. Not that I am advocating an actual political revolution; nay, a BARBECUE revolution....

I have long thought about putting together a Boots media empire called "Texas BBQ Television". News, storys, cooking demos, comps, humor, all on a web platform like a YouTube. Think of it more like SmokeTube on the web. Maybe later a syndicated TV shown of its own on cable. Why not? They got two knuckleheaded fix it twins on there on HGTV that can't figure out how to shave, a California couple that don't even like one another on a hunt for the next bulldoze job house to fix up and sell to the nearest available rube for half a million dollars, and a mother/daughter house flipper crew with a brother who thinks the best way to demo a wall is bang his head against it. Rationale: If boneheads like that can do it, why can't a half-hatched old geezer like us? I could have Parts on to explain the best way to trim and shoe a horse while waiting for his fire to burn down sufficiently; Egghead could perform miracles on his flowerpot while sporting the latest in Scottish kilt sartorials; and Sailor could show the proper why to hand squash up a MoinkBall.

Maybe Gator would jump in and be my sauce sponsor.

You can bet the FoodNutwork, NBCneer and monkey butt CNN wouldn't have ANYTHING like that. There'd be some much onery we'd have to show it in 3D GeezerVision.

I can smell the sweet aroma of success already.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:58 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd park my keister in front of the tube to watch it :):)

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:$0.02 - - this is NOT State against State - - - it's Team W,X, Y and Z competing against "each other" and the Outcome is only a competition between 4 Teams and not 4 States, however, in the interest of "INTEREST", THEY promoted it "incorrectly" - - - I've seen more Realism and Facts in a Political Race . :roll: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Lack of realism (Food Network's competitions are all totally staged) and the fact that it all IS being subtly turned into a bunch of political nonsense was my point OUP. The media elite is so anxious to push their agenda, they'll even turn cooking shows into propaganda. I spent a good part of my life in the South, so Southern values mean alot to me. Less than a year till moving back too. :P I've seen what those media elites have done to California. They can keep it.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:19 am

10-4, rimshot - - - well put :tup: :salut: :cheers:

the Wiffy likes to watch the Crime Shows that are Mega Staged and Filmed - - - justified with these are true stories!"
my reply is "the only thing true was that they found her decomposed body in the woods and nothing else"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:00 pm

Reality TV is an oxymoron (so are their producers, minus the oxy). :P :lol:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:05 pm

I watch gold rush, I've worked in the game, made a lot of money and friends in the gold game, I've driven excavators and loaders, so it amazes me how exaggerated the show is. A loader going 3 foot deep through a river. You're think the guys life was in peril the way they say it. If this tips over he could drown. What???? It gets on my goat.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bigthicketbbq USER_AVATAR
BigThicketBBQ
Wrangler

Postby BigThicketBBQ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 am

I was happy to see Leonard get some national recognition, but the "competition" aspect of that episode was kind of a joke, IMO. The lady with the raw pork nachos should have gotten the boot.
——————————————
There is love enough in this world for everybody, if people will just look - Vonnegut
Instagram/behindthepinecurtain

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”