WSJ Article: Yankee Barbecuers

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dub'
Cowboy

Re: WSJ Article: Yankee Barbecuers

Postby dub' » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Reading WSJ for BBQ?
what's next? sexy centerfolds in Popular Mechanics?
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Popular Mechanics just got a new subscriber

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:58 am

Closest we got to New York type pizza out here is a few pale imitators like Sbarro's.

I like the pizza here just fine though. A few independent shops and small chains do a great job. I could rattle off names but they wouldn't mean much. :D Big chains though, forget it. Every region has their own style with pizza (just like BBQ). Nothing wrong with any of it.

Side note: Want Irony? No decent yankee pizza here, but if you look hard enough you can find good Chicago DEEP dish pizza.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm an NJ transplant. I've been here for 33 years, but I'm originally from GA.

BBQ is not on the radar of northeast cooking. Pizza.................is..............and the NY / NJ pizzas (along with all of the excellent Italian food) is what this area does VERY well.

As for Q, I look for all influences, be it Carolina, Texas, or whatever. There is no such thing as "Jersey Q".

I'm a Yankee BBQ fanatic...........seeking wisdom from all sources on BBQ, and that is why I joined this forum.
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Smoking Piney wrote:I'm an NJ transplant. I've been here for 33 years, but I'm originally from GA.

BBQ is not on the radar of northeast cooking. Pizza.................is..............and the NY / NJ pizzas (along with all of the excellent Italian food) is what this area does VERY well.

As for Q, I look for all influences, be it Carolina, Texas, or whatever. There is no such thing as "Jersey Q".

I'm a Yankee BBQ fanatic...........seeking wisdom from all sources on BBQ, and that is why I joined this forum.
Hey there SmoPin,

I've got about 38 years in the Garden State til I moved across the Delaware River 11 years ago.
As for finding great or even just very good BBQ in Jersey you're pretty much spot on unfortunately.
Although, I will always take a chance when the opportunity arises to spend some dough and give someone a try.
So far, the Only place I've found that had really good Q in Jersey was a place called HotRods in a North Jersey town called Wharton Nj
15 years ago I went right after they opened and the ribs were absolutely delicious, you could tell that they were on the smoker for a long while.
Unfortunately, the second experience was just the opposite. I heard that they changed cooks and that was that. Last I heard, they moved to another location so I'm not sure what's what.

Now for the past 5 years, I've been leaving Allentown every Monday and driving to your neck of the woods to Vineland Nj for a delivery route.
It kills me that I Always pass this BBQ joint and they are never open, grrrrrr...
They have 4 or 5 good sized smokers lined up under a wooden roof right off the side of the road which I believe is rt 40 ?

The name is Bills BBQ and his reputation from the locals and his reviewers are thru the roof. I'm not sure if you ever get by there on Friday, Saturday or Sunday but if you do, I'd definitely give it a shot.
Just wanted to give u the heads up.

I may just bite the bullet one day and make the 2.5 hr drive from the Poconos one Saturday :)

The address is .....

364 Harding Hwy, Newfield, New Jersey 08360

https://www.facebook.com/Bills-BBQ-2670 ... 55/reviews

smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:05 pm

I get down that way every now and then. I'll look them up to see if they're open.

I expect very little from Q joints here in NJ...my experience has been that it's commercial, generic garbage.

Not blowing my own horn here, but I'll cook my own Q the way I like it.

You folks want absolutely great Italian fare? Come on up! :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:18 pm

They are only open Friday and the weekends.
I totally understand the commercial reference but This is like a Mom and Pop Q on the side of the road. Coming from someone that owns a small business, I'd be willing to bet that they take a lot of pride in their Q knowing if they don't, they are out of a business. I will always try someone like that at least once ya know :)
Apparently the portions are Mondo Sized, especially the Brisket Sammich.

As for what you wrote here...

"Quote" You folks want absolutely great Italian fare? Come on up! 

Ain't dat da truth ^^^^^^^

Add Bagels and Diners to that list and Sweet Corn and Tuh Maters... :)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”