Charbroil infrared - lots of smoke!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

araczek
Pilgrim

Charbroil infrared - lots of smoke!

Postby araczek » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello -

Got a grill question. I just purchased a Char Broil "Tru Infrared" (Weber a bit too much $). I like the taste of things coming off the grill but
it throws so much smoke. So much so it is almost impossible to stand in front of it and cook. I understand it's burning off drippings and such
but it's almost too much to bear. Is this typical? I suppose I could remove the infrared cover from one side.

Just like to know if I am missing something :dont:

...Alan
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Charbroil infrared - lots of smoke!

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:25 pm

first thing that comes to my mind is, :dont: as long as the taste and good food is there, then I think I would put a simple fan ?maybe? somewhere near it to draw the smoke away from you :dont: could "it's" location be contributing to the smoke problem ? :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Charbroil infrared - lots of smoke!

Postby rms827 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Never had that issue with mine... VERY odd. Mine just liked to incinerate food, LOL.

The "Tru-Infrared" covers are just heat baffles to prevent hot spots on the grill plates. They shouldn't contribute to a smoke problem.

Really the only thing that comes to mind is if you're using some sort of oil or spray on the grill plates that's smoking like mad. Either that or some sort of marinade or fat that's dripping and smoking off. Assuming it's an oil to prevent sticking that's burning off, try Grapeseed Oil if you can find it. It has a much higher smoke point than olive oil and a lower flavor profile also.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”