recipe for fresh fish

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

recipe for fresh fish

Postby Mule rider » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm

does anyone have a recipe for Ling-cod or Cabazone fish? I am fishing at least 2- 3 times a week catching my limit of Ling cod and Cabazone. We eat a lot of fried fish but I am looking for a way to fix these.
Attachments
last pics 167.jpg
last pics 160.jpg
last pics 159.jpg
last pics 164.jpg
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Re: recipe for fresh fish

Postby Smoking Piney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Nice catch!

Filet and plank them on a grill. Lot's of ways to do this.
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Never had either of them before, but I like to flour them and drop them on a nice hot pan and either broil or cook over coals on a mesh screen. I use butter,garlic,s&p and lemon juice in the end but that's just my preference.
Good luck and hopefully we can see some post cook pre eat pics :)

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:38 pm

I could sure use me a mess of those Specks and Gafftops :salut:

One of my favorite ways to cook Saltwater Fish is to Blacken it. Simply dip Filets into unsalted butter, season (I prefer a Blackening Seasoning or Cajun Seasoning) and put on a very hot griddle, cast iron skillet, ETC, flipping half way through, preferably outside on the Grill because the smoke will be blinding inside. :shock: :roll: :laughing7: :lol: :D Ask me how I know :banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLNLN_QF3tg

I have never eaten the Ugly Cabazon but I've heard folks talk about the eggs being poisonous but that's about all I remember but either fish should do well Blackened IMHO :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Those remind me of why I like crappie and catfish …no teeth :)

If you are wanting to grill them give Sucklebusters Lemon Pepper Garlic a shot. It’s become my go to for grilled fish. Heck I bet it’d be good sprinkled on them fresh out of a grease bath too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:41 pm

I do fish tacos with the lingcod. Fairly simple salt pepper cilantro and lime juice pan cook the cod and butter. Make a cabbage slaw with a sour cream base sauce and add a tomatillo sauce. Top with queso fresco
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 am

Love seeing the 4Cs of fishing in action! Catching, Cleaning, Cooking and Consuming

Look forward to the next pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Another vote for blackened fish. Video of yours truly at a friend’s place 10 years ago.

https://youtu.be/rCrj0Mqu66M
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:23 am

Sir Amigeaux, you never cease to amaze and inspire me with your Vintage Louisiana Cuisine and Cooking skills. :salut: :chef:
Those Filets are the Real Deal but the problem now is I have to Cook Breakfast that will not offend my drooling taste buds. :tup: :cheers:

I must also ask if you know who is providing your appropriate Audio in that Video :?: :?: Always in the market for a new CD of older Ethnic Sounds :bow:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
I must also ask if you know who is providing your appropriate Audio in that Video :?: :?: Always in the market for a new CD of older Ethnic Sounds :bow:

I have no idea on the audio - videos and audios on the WWW ARE above my pay scale. :laughing7: I assumed it was some sort of canned audio from the WWW.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 am

OK, understood completely - - - I found it kinda of Multi-Cultural with a feeling of Irish Jig and also French Creole swamp Music. Now my quest is to see if my WWW Guru Step-Son can find out for me/us :scratch: :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:35 pm

egghead wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:I must also ask if you know who is providing your appropriate Audio in that Video :?: :?: Always in the market for a new CD of older Ethnic Sounds :bow:

I have no idea on the audio - videos and audios on the WWW ARE above my pay scale. :laughing7: I assumed it was some sort of canned audio from the WWW.

OK, Amigeaux - - - - Stand and Be INFORMED - - - because of the Genius of my Step-Son :bow: :cheers:

Here Tis - - - >>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsFczQsUU74
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 am

Nice fish you got there.....
My favorite way to prep fresh fish is grilling it over lump mesquite charcoal. I typically oil the fish and season with some cajun seasoning. If it's mahi mahi, I sometimes use steak seasoning. You can't go wrong. Last fish I grilled was Red Snapper....oiled and seasoned with Zatarans, grilled it over mesquite and served it with a mix of sauteed mushrooms, artichoke hearts and spinach and topped it with a lemon butter sauce. I have to say, it was a fairly complicated dish but well worth it, imo.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm

have you ever done Redfish on the Half Shell :?: - - - AKA leave the skin on the filet and let it serve as a grilling platter - - - then plate it and eat the meat off of the skin :idea:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Cool videos, I love you tube.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”