Would YOU Buy This??

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Would YOU Buy This??

Postby rms827 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 am

Looks like even Costco has fallen victim to the bad meat epidemic here. At least these Briskets look pretty suspect to me.

IMG_1455.JPG

What I'm looking at here is how the color varies so much across the meat. Dark red at the left of the picture, then almost pork colored, a medium red in the center and then back to almost pork colored at the right side of the pic. Seems like every time I see this, the meat has been out too long and has been recolored (and is likely brown in the center). Note from the stickers that this is not only prime, but supposedly only 3 days old.

IMG_1456_LI.jpg

The area I've circled here looks like it's got some brown showing thru. Then of course there's the discolored fat at the front and the general somewhat "off" color...

So after this we left the Costco and went to one clear on the far side of the Sacramento area... This Costco had a couple of Briskets:

IMG_1459_LI.jpg

Brown meat anyone? :banghead: This was by far the worst of the three.

They had ONE of the three that looked good. Better than any of the others I'd looked at all evening. We bought it and I'm about to cut the bag open and prep it for a Friday dinner... Assuming it doesn't smell like something died when I open the bag.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Re: Would YOU Buy This??

Postby bobcat1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:11 pm

I would ask for a discount. Take it home trim it off Salt Pepper and Garlic and smoke the thing. I have done this and would do it again.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 pm

I'd buy it, then see how it turns out when the smoke clears! If it's actually bad, you can get a refund.
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 am

After The Great Beer-Can Chicken Fiasco, I don't think we'd go through the trouble of buying and starting it...only to have to return it. :(
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:After The Great Beer-Can Chicken Fiasco, I don't think we'd go through the trouble of buying and starting it...only to have to return it. :(

That's the sad thing... I'm getting paranoid too. Literally every grocery store in the neighborhood has nothing but bad meat. We have to drive clear across the city in the hope of finding something decent. The brisket I did finally buy turned out to be OK, but those other ones above still look suspect to me.

Buying it and returning it as TxDragon suggested isn't really an option when you're talking a 50 or 60 mile round trip.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”