Wood chips

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Wood chips

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 am

Hello.

I have my office in the same building as Norways biggest distillery. They produce a lot of different booze, but they are most famous for a lot of different aquavit's. The aquavit is stored on barrels made from oak. The barrels have before the aquavit been used for Madeira and sherry. Today I was so lucky to get som wood from the guy who fixes the barrels. He ran a couple of boards from a used barrel through a machine that makes the board in to chips (don't know what the machine is called in english). The wood smells a lot of aquavit and a bit of Madeira and Sherry. I think this would be nice to smoke a side of salmon with. Looking forward to try.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Last edited by Norway Joe on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
RUBYRW
Rustler

Re: Wood chips

Postby RUBYRW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:05 am

I lost my appetite at used caskets....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Wood chips

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am

Haha. I am Norwegian and it's not always easy to remember all the English words. I have corrected from casket to barrel. Makes more sense I think. Sorry for the mistake, but I found it a bit funny.
RUBYRW wrote:I lost my appetite at used caskets....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm

I got here after the Boo Boo but I would have probably been in the exit line with Ruby - - - nevertheless, those chips sure sound good but they sure are thin and will probably burn pretty fast - - - - of course, once you experiment with a few cooks you'll know more. I usually pre-soak my chips much to the dislike of some members here but, ?hey? it works for MOI (that's Me in Cajun) :laughing7: Good Luck and let us know how they work out for you :salut:

P.S. in Texas we would call those shavings instead of chips :dont: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:15 pm

If it's any consolation, we soak whatever is smaller than a chunk.

Sherry and aquavit? Sounds interesting. Here, we have chunks made from Jack Daniels' caskets, I mean barrels. ;)
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Yes, they are thin. I think they also will burn fast. That's why I think they maybe are better for fish than meat? In my head fish picks up smoke faster than meat. Next time I can ask the craftsman if I can get a couple of boards which I can chop up myself. I let you know when I have tried this.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote: Here, we have chunks made from Jack Daniels' caskets, I mean barrels. ;)

:bow: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:If it's any consolation, we soak whatever is smaller than a chunk.

Sherry and aquavit? Sounds interesting. Here, we have chunks made from Jack Daniels' caskets, I mean barrels. ;)

There were some nights in my younger days where Jack Daniels tried to put me in a casket. If it didn’t my wife did for whatever it was JD had convinced me to do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Aquavit.... Water of Life but tastes like warmed over death IMHO. Cannot eat enough pickled herring to get rid of the taste. :laughing7:

FYI... G/F is from Denmark and swears by the stuff - I just swear. :banghead:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Aquavit.... Water of Life but tastes like warmed over death IMHO. Cannot eat enough pickled herring to get rid of the taste. :laughing7:

FYI... G/F is from Denmark and swears by the stuff - I just swear. :banghead:

I agree. It's just straight up fire water. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

I actually like aquavit a lot. It is particularly good to drink when you have pork belly, pork butt or other food with some fat. A beer and a glass of aquavit to this is good. First a zip of beer and then a zip of aquavit. The casks with aquavit is actually shipped by boat for 4 months, crossing equator twice.that gives the aquavit its special taste but also the wood gets a nice aroma. It's a strong smell of aquavit from the wood so I believe in this, but probably with bigger chips than the shaves I've got. A lot of food here is aromated with aquavit, like aquavit cured salmon, aquavit cured reindeer and more.

For those who are interested in reading:

http://linie.com/explore-linie-aquavit/

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”